Do You Include A Cake Cutting & Tier Deconstruction Guid

Business By FloweryGreetings Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm by thecakeprincess

FloweryGreetings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FloweryGreetings Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #1 of 5

Well the title pretty much says it all. I'm doing my very first wedding cake this weekend, and I was thinking ahead to when the cake is being cut, wondering if they will even realize there is doweling through the tiers (it's 3 tiered). It got me wondering if I should include a deconstruction guide as well as a serving chart to ensure that the cake is cut correctly to serve the correct number of guests...

Having never done a wedding cake before and not knowing anybody in the business, I'm not really sure if this would be considered weird or if this is the kind of thing traditionally included with the cake. Any thoughts? If anybody does do this and has a template of some sort they are willing to share, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:31am
post #2 of 5

If the cake is being cut by a professional caterer, odds are good they knwo there are dowels in there (although don't bet on it. I've run into caterers who have told me "We don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies! Uh, I mean cuttin' no cakes!"). Even if it's being cut by family, they will see the dowels when they remove the tiers before cutting the cake.

Part of my cake file was a "stick figure" drawing a cake (in excel) and I had the number of serving typed in the cake figure. I would always leave this with the venue to show them (a) what the flavor of each tier was (b) to show them how many pieces I expected them to get from each tier.

However .......

It's always good customer serving to provide as much info as possible to help yoru client. Print off a bunch of my "How to cut a wedding cake" (see link in signature) and just leave one ont he cake table (put it behind the cake). I've had many cakers email me and tell me they do this and it works great! icon_biggrin.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Indydebi - that is exactly what I was looking for. I give them a printed guide from the Wilton's site, but I love the written instructions with the pictures.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 5

I print off Indydebi's instructions and pictures and send it along....

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 5

THANKS DEBI!!!! I READ SOME OF YOUR WRITINGS ON YOUR BLOG, HILARIUOS!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%