Where Do I Get Round Plywood? How To Make A Cake Board Help!

Decorating By totallycaked Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm by totallycaked

totallycaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallycaked Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 17

Im doing my friends wedding cake and I dont have a cake stand the bottom is 12 inches. So I was thinking of getting a 14 inch round plywood and paint it ? cover it? dang I dunno ... any ideas please on how to make a cake board for a wedding... thank you xoxoxo

16 replies
rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:15am
post #2 of 17

Why not a cake drum? or base? you can get those at michaels

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 17

I found an employee at a local hardware store that took pity on me and cut a piece of plywood into 20 boards for me. They were square 12" boards. I don't know if all stores are set up for round cuts but I would start there. If not I would just buy online. I wrap the boards in saran wrap and then foil but you could also cover it in fondant.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:25am
post #4 of 17

My husband cuts the rounds for me. Then I cover the boards with fondant,I like the look of it. You can use stamps to add decoration.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 17

I'm still learning but...I've read a little bit here on CC.

If you wanna go with plywood, I imagine a hardware type store like Lowe's or Home Depot would be able to pre-cut a piece of plywood to your desired diameter. They will probably ask you how thick. I'm not sure about this part. I'm not sure if it matters, except for the appearances.

As far as covering plywood, you know...I'm not sure. I'm sure you wouldn't want to put cake on a painted wood surface. And, I'm not sure if there is a particular way to cover plywood with fondant as I've never done that.

However, I have covered two cake bases recently. In my gallery you'll see a purple cake and a blue cake. They both are made of something called foam core board. You can get it in sheets at a craft store and sometimes at Walmart. There are different thicknesses. If your cake is going to be heavy, I guess you'd want a thicker board. I guess some craft stores will cut it for you...but I use an exacto knife to cut mine & it works okay. Just gotta be careful with the razor. Oh - foam core is pretty inexpensive.

Lots of folks cover their bases with regular fondant, marshmellow fondant, or I guess you could use rolled buttercream too. I do cookies mostly and love the combo recipe on CC that combines marshmellow fondant and rolled buttercream. It's pretty cheap to make.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there is something that is supposed to be brushed on the cake board or not before you apply your rolled out fondant. But, I just put it on there. I roll out as evenly as possible & then roll it up on my rolling pin & then un-roll over the board. I use a cake smoother to make sure it was smooth after applied, I brushed the excess powdered sugar off...then trimmed with my exacto knife. I made sure it hung over the top edge just a tiny bit. Then, I hot glued my ribbon around the base.

Well...that's what I did. Not sure if that's the exact way it should be done. Hopefully you'll get some more experienced people chiming in.

Good Luck!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:30am
post #6 of 17

i needed a 28" Round base for a cake this past Spring and niether Home Depot or Lowe's would do it for me. So, I went to a lumber yard/supply place and they were more than happy to cut if for me. In fact, they had larger sizes cut for other people.

Look into your local lumber company

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:35am
post #7 of 17

Nicciola...thanks for the heads up on the home depot/lowes thing. I don't think I'd ever need plywood for a cake...but I've read that a couple times here on CC. I wonder why there is a difference? Wierd.

But, the lumber yard makes perfect sense? By the way, what is the cost on plywood? Is it expensive in comparison to foam core. And, why would somebody choose plywood over foamcore???

Still learning, I appreciate your opinions!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:36am
post #8 of 17

here is a recent thread talking about foamcore, excellent advice on thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-697778-foamcore.html

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

Nicciola...thanks for the heads up on the home depot/lowes thing. I don't think I'd ever need plywood for a cake...but I've read that a couple times here on CC. I wonder why there is a difference? Wierd.

But, the lumber yard makes perfect sense? By the way, what is the cost on plywood? Is it expensive in comparison to foam core. And, why would somebody choose plywood over foamcore???

Still learning, I appreciate your opinions!

You're welcome!

I used plywood in this particular case because it was a 6-tier topsy turvy with the bottom 2 layers styrofoam, so the bottom tier was 24" itself and I wanted a large base to be able to carry and support it all, so i went with a 28".

I can't find 28" circle in cardboard anywhere LOL plywood made perfect sense. It cost a little under $20.00

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs126.snc4/36675_407658664597_105855894597_4179755_4353160_n.jpg

totallycaked Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:56am
post #10 of 17

thank you everyone such great advice ! I think I am going to either stack a bunch of boards or try to find formcore and cover with fondant and finish with the ribbon that will go on the bottom of each level icon_smile.gif new question, everytime i cover a board with fondant, I smoosh the edges when I move it ! any suggestions on how to get my fondant not to crack... thanks a million xoxo

Apti Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:22am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallycaked

thank you everyone such great advice ! I think I am going to either stack a bunch of boards or try to find formcore and cover with fondant and finish with the ribbon that will go on the bottom of each level icon_smile.gif new question, everytime i cover a board with fondant, I smoosh the edges when I move it ! any suggestions on how to get my fondant not to crack... thanks a million xoxo

Don't wrap the fondant around the edge of the board. Use ribbon for the edge.

Put a slightly smaller board under your decorated board so you have somewhere to put your fingers when you go to pick it up.

If your board bends in ANY way, the fondant on the board WILL crack. Make a board that won't bend. (Never use the Wilton cake bases)

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 7:19am
post #12 of 17

I also agree with home depot not being able to precut rounds. The machines they have can only cut squares or rectangles. I bought a slab, I think it was like heavy plywood??, and had them cut various size squares and rectangles for about $10.

Good idea on lumber yards.....I'm gonna go check them out for some round boards thumbs_up.gif

Tacy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tacy09 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 17

I ran into the same problem with a wedding I have coming up. So I went to Home Depot and found a round table top (it was just the top I think it was for making your own table) so the edges were nicely rounded and it was perfectly smooth. Now all I have to do is paint it! It was like $4.00 I think, so nice and cheap too!

Apti Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:17pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacy09

I ran into the same problem with a wedding I have coming up. So I went to Home Depot and found a round table top (it was just the top I think it was for making your own table) so the edges were nicely rounded and it was perfectly smooth. Now all I have to do is paint it! It was like $4.00 I think, so nice and cheap too!

Whoa! What a great idea!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 17

I buy pre-cut round plywood circles at Lowe's. They have them in 12, 16, and 18 inch diameters. They run anywhere from about $4-$6 each.

Apti Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I buy pre-cut round plywood circles at Lowe's. They have them in 12, 16, and 18 inch diameters. They run anywhere from about $4-$6 each.

YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!

totallycaked Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #17 of 17

Wow !I am so glad I asked.... LOWES I am totally checking into that and those little tables, I totally know what you are talking about, they have those at walmart, target... great for a middle of the night need ! wow thanks all you rock!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%