Mmf Help!!

Baking By CraveBakery Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 8:30am by jenscreativity

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #1 of 17

Ok so as usual i started out happy, at how the mmf was so easy to make. then as I keep needing it something changed. it didn't pull apart like (satin ice) does, so I added more crisco....well then it started to look....grainy i guess. Now it looks horrible, ive added crisco, ive added sugar, i don't know what to do. I have a cake to do tomorrow and I don't have time to order anything online. can someone please help!! what did I do wrong, and can i fix my little ball of mess????? icon_cry.gif

16 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #2 of 17

I work with MMF a lot,,so I think the best thing is to make it again fast!! It's easy to do and not a lot of supplies. I ran into same problems and I find it easier to just do a new batch. Do NOT add crisco! Only on your hands and surface area,,but not in the batch! I used to add crisco a lot and the same results..somehow adding it ruins it..don't know why!

When you make new batch,,just work all the way through with it vs letting it sit around. It will have to work out..UNLESS you have a lot of designs to place on your cake to cover up the flawing. That has worked for me too.

Hope this helps some..MMF is NOT easy to decorate with, in my own opinion.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 17

I have to agree, just start over - I've had the same thing happen, usually when I add coloring to it - sometime it's just fussy. I've often wondered if I should just cave in and buy premade instead of making it - at least until I get more cakes under my belt. Good luck!

CraveBakery Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:57am
post #4 of 17

ok making new batch...am i suppose to put all 2lps of sug into my 16oz mimi mars?

jenscreativity Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #5 of 17

YES! Make sure sugar is sifted!! If you don't have a sifter,,then use a colander of some sort. 2 lbs sugar, 1 bag of marshmallows, a drop of water, and add a squirt of lemon juice with a tsp of extract of any flavor for taste. OH, and a pinch of salt to not be too sweet.

CraveBakery Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 17

Already started new batch, to late to add anything except sugar I have a good Consisty but i have 3rd of the bag left. Its getting harder to nead in the sugar now
icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:11am
post #7 of 17

ok, so now just knead away for like 10 min. on a light crisco work surface and you can keep microwaving it to not be sooo hard for you ,,but knead it for like 10 min b/c that takes the airbubbles out

jenscreativity Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:12am
post #8 of 17

also, no need to add much more sugar if it's a good consistency..don't over sugar it!

CraveBakery Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:14am
post #9 of 17

Okay i will microwave it to add the rest of the sugar is it too late for the salt will it be too sweet?

jenscreativity Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:19am
post #10 of 17

NOOO!! Don't over sugar it..if consistency is good. Sometimes I don't use all of my sugar up..trust me! Add salt still but only a pinch.

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:20am
post #11 of 17

I have had that problem too - I use 3 tbsp of water in my MMF and that took care of the dryness problem. I also recently tried this recipe I found on this website:

¼ Cup Crisco, used for kneading the dough
2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, used to grease the bowl for melted marshmallows
8 Cups Mini Marshmallows, very loosely packed
2½ Tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
2½ Tsp Clear Butter Flavored Extract
½ Tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp. Corn Syrup, helps with pliability
2 Lbs Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp. Dream Whip

This recipe was amazing - perfectly pliable fondant and great taste!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:38am
post #12 of 17

Only time that happened to me I forgot to sift it.....I don't know if you can save it at this pont I would remake a new batch and be sure to sift your sugar...

one more thing........wilton changed their fondant and its actually nice to roll out and tastes much better....walmart carries double packs for 18.oo...in a pinch its great icon_smile.gif

CraveBakery Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #13 of 17

well hopefully i did not ruin the second one. I'm so tired. I'm going to bed. didn't add any more sugar because it was not going kneading into it so i stopped, hopefully it will work out tomorrow. I am keeping it air tight on my counter top so i hope that's right.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:58am
post #14 of 17

If it is at the point that it is too hard to knead in more sugar then you have over done it on the sugar. I have never, ever used the whole 2 lbs. called for in the recipe and I make a lot of fondant. Just knead in enought sugar to get a smooth, soft fondant. Wrap it well in plastic wrap and store it in a ziplock bag. Let it sit out overnight. Do not put it in the refrigerator. That will make it hard. The fondant will firm up as it sits overnight and be ready to work the next day. The recipe I use is marshmallows, a little shortening to make it pliable, some water, and the sugar. It is perfect every time. Hope this helps.

jenscreativity Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:02am
post #15 of 17

It will be fine girl! Rest and relax..no stresses! Let me know how all turned out for you! Glad I could walk you through this.

Goodnight!

CraveBakery Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #16 of 17

well it didn't turn out good. wouldn't spread i put to much sugar in it. I'll keep it around, think i can make figurines and boarders and things with it. I was easy an over all process, but i think i might stick with my satin ice buttercream flavor.

jenscreativity Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:30am
post #17 of 17

Really?? Wow! Well, I tried to tell you to NOT put all of the sugar in if the consistency was good..but you already had by time you got these replies. It's a tricky fondant to make,,but practice helps. I practice with it a lot. I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck in future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%