imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:33pm
post #31 of 35

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:14pm
post #32 of 35

Congrats!

I agree with the previous posts, and work on what you feel comfortable doing during the tasting. Find your groove and decide on what kind of wedding cake decorator/designer/provider you want to be. I am not one to overly cater to brides or anyone else (just not my personality), so I don't pretend to be that way. In return, I typically attract the organized, sensible brides instead of the princesses and bridezillas, which is fine by me.

I work out of my home and have tried doing tastings elsewhere and found it to be a waste of time (15 min to get there, 15 min until they got there, the tasting, and then 15 min to get back home). I do my tastings in the dining room and close the door to the other side of the house where my kids and family are. I welcome them, go over their details, go over my details (how long I have been doing this, my background, basic pricing, etc) and have them taste for a good 5 minutes on their own (I prep the next tasting). I always ask if this is their first tasting to gauge the type of client they are (I usually lead into how I suggest they do the tasting) and tell them there is no pressure and that I don't expect them to make any decisions at the tasting. After they are done with the tasting, I go over any questions and the next steps.

Anyway, that is what works for me and after you do a few more, you will figure out what works for you. It seems like you are on the right track!

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:37pm
post #33 of 35

I understand where you are at I have been doing this full steam for about a year now. In the months preceeding the wedding season and during the wedding season I generally landed the contract. I have found recently that I don't immediately know after the tasting. I have come to the conclusion based on some comments that brides have made ,that at this point, alot think that they have a lot of time to decided and are enjoying going thru the process of cake tastings. I think in the end you will hear back from some. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:19pm
post #34 of 35

all very good advice. i think you should have more confidence in your work. good luck!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:36pm
post #35 of 35

Great!!! So happy that you got this. I was also thinking of having a form to follow-up with. It can easily be done via e-mail, where I think people are more likely to express their opinions. After each tasting, e-mail a follow-up "survey" (after a bit of time, of course). What were your favorite flavors? How would you rate the price you were quoted?, etc. Then you may get a feel for what is happening during the tastings that may turn people off. But think about it....after 3 tastings, you got a job. I think that 1 out of 3 is pretty good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%