Buttercream Vs Royal Icing

Decorating By FarrahFace Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 4:39am by indydebi

FarrahFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FarrahFace Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a wedding cake with scroll work on it. it will just be S's and C's with silver dragees at each end of the S's and C's. Which is better for the scroll work? bc or ri? The cake is buttercream no fondant. Please help me. I need the scroll work to not slip and slide but need the silver balls to also stick well. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 8

I never use Royal Icing on cakes. Only cookies. And 99% of my cakes are butter cream. Before I do my scroll work, my cake has sat in the frig to for the butter cream to "harden" or set up. I can then scroll and add dragees all day long. Good luck!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 8

dont use royal if you plan on putting the cake in the fridge after decorating, the royal will dissolve if your cake sweats. if your not chilling the cake and using royal you will have to stick the dragees in as you go , but i do prefer to do scrollwork with royal. Buttercream works just as well though.

FarrahFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FarrahFace Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 8

thank you ddaigle and sweetcakes. Do you add any corn syrup to the bc or do you thin your bc down some?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 8

I use buttercream on buttercream. You can use corn syrup if you want, works well.

Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 8

I use buttercream on buttercream. You can use corn syrup if you want, works well.

Edna icon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:40am
post #7 of 8

I only use BC too. In fact the last cake I did sat in the sun for a couple of hours and it didn't budge! I was very worried, it was 90 with some humidity! It's in my photos. Post a pic when you finish iticon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:39am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I never use Royal Icing on cakes. Only cookies. And 99% of my cakes are butter cream.

same here. even on stringwork, I use my regular BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%