Hard Candy Lollipops

Sugar Work By quita12 Updated 14 Dec 2010 , 12:31am by motherofgrace

quita12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quita12 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 5

I have been trying to make hard candy lollipops using Lorann flavorings. I have had several people try them and most are saying they just taste like sugar. I am using 1 dram lorann flavoring with 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup corn syrup and 1/4 cup of water. You can smell the flavoring, but you can't taste the flavor? I read on another forum to use kool aid packs, but have no clue how to incorporate that in the mix. Has anyone had any success making hard candy lollipops with flavor till the end? I guess I am so use to artifical flavor pops I am looking for the same flavoring to come through.

4 replies
Giovanna68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Giovanna68 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 5

the key is using more flavoring, i have always doubled the amount it calls from. also the brand i found matters, try flavors from www.getsuckered.com. i found thiers are stronger so i use less. good luck!

KaykesInPa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaykesInPa Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:15am
post #3 of 5

Hmmmm..... I've made hard lollipops for years and years and I've never used more than a dram of flavoring per batch (1 cup sugar). If you are used to store bought flavors, is it possible that you are just missing the tartness factor? If you add some citric acid (sour salts) it will enhance the flavor and may be more like what you are familiar with.
HTH!

Biabeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biabeke Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 5

Quita12, I also use flavors from Get Suckered, Inc and Boyajian Oils. They are better than Lorann's Oils. Citric and malic acids bring out the flavors of the oils. Use 1/8 teaspoon of each for every cup of sugar. Good luck in your candymaking quest!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 12:31am
post #5 of 5

i use LESS then a dram in mine (close to half) and mine you can definatly taste it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%