Can I Freeze Finished Cake Balls?

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 11:25pm by yummy_in_my_tummy

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has already been posted. I tried to look for a subject on it but couldn't find anything...

Can I freeze finished cake balls? I would think you can, I mean, it's just cake, buttercream and chocolate, so it sounds like it wouldn't be a big deal.

Has anyone tried it? I'm going to be out of town for Thanksgiving, but someone wants me to make these cute turkey cake balls. I thought maybe I could mak them ahead and freeze them...

Thank you!

6 replies
prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 7

I have freezed them for about 2 days and they taste fine but they do start to "sweat" after being out for a while

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 7

Did the condensation evaporate ok? I wonder if that would make some of the pieces gummy...

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

I have a question. I tried the cake balls - good nice, but the chocolate was not smooth. I used candy melts (wilton). Any suggestions on how to make the chocolate smooth.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 7

believer, one tip is to not use the wilton candy melts! I've never had any sort of luck with those things! I use Merckens now, and it melts better and stays "liquidy" longer. If you have a bunch of wilton to use up, try melting it with paramount crystals (basically flaked shortening). That might help.
Good luck!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 7

If you just want to use chocolate (not candy melts) you need a good quality chocolate, which it is best if you temper it when you melt it. The cake pops in my pics were my first attempt and because I tempered the white chocolate it was smooth and dried really well (no stickyness and still has the "snap" when you bite it)

Google tempering chocolate and I followed the instructions on how to website i think.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 7

believer, I used the Wilton chocolate and just mixed a little bit of canola oil in with it and it thinned it right out. The Wilton chocolate is just so easy to get, I don't have to go to any specialty store, I just get it at Michaels. Works like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%