Question About Covering A Pillow Cake

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm by Acjohnson

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 10

I'm getting ready to make my first pillow cake and I've seen two different versions for covering them.

For those of you who have experience with pillow cakes, do you find it better to cover both sides in fondant and have a seam where the trim goes, or cover the pillow shape in once piece of fondant down to the bottom with no seam? TFL!

9 replies
TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 10

I cover in two pieces, the bottom first then the top and add a trim at the seam like an actual pillow. Though, I must say I have never attempted covering in once piece...

Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:53am
post #3 of 10

I cover in one piece. I tried the 2 piece method and it was a big fail. Ihad a hard time getting the seems to match.

Debi2 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 10

Uh oh....50/50 here so far. ha ha

Acjohnson; When you covered yours in one piece, did you tuck it under the bottom quite a bit so you wouldn't see the edge. I think that's my biggest concern. I don't want to be able to see where the fondant ends.

I will be starting this cake tomorrow....so hopefully I will get some more votes and I can go with the majority. It may just be a trial and error thing too as with you, Acjohnson. I was just really needing to save time and get the cake done as quickly as possible.

Thanks to you too TrixieTreats! In my head the two pieces sounds a little easier....but I also like the idea of not having a seam. What to do, what to do? ha ha

Acjohnson Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 10

The tiered pillow cake I did I tucked them the best I could. It wasn't perfect but it worked. I did another smaller pillow cake where I didn't make the cake board small enough so I had to add a rope border. You can see both in my photost.
It is trial and error. Good Luck

Debi2 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks Acjohnson, your cakes look great! That latest one with the little duckie is adorable!!!

One more question if you guys don't mind...did you just bake one cake per pillow and layer/torte that, or did you bake two cakes and use them whole with a layer of BC in between?

Acjohnson Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 10

I used the Wilton cake pans and baked 2 of each then placed filling in between.

Debi2 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 10

Great! Thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:05pm
post #9 of 10

I also love covering in two pieces (different colours for the top and bottom) It's way easier and looks cute (great tutorial on youtube for it) It's so easy to buttercream the top half/cover the top half with fondant, flip it over then buttercream and fondant the other side then just use a rope border (using toothpicks underneath the ropes to support the ropes until they dry) to cover the seam if you want - or just notch the sides with an embosser if you want a stitched lookicon_smile.gif The Wilton pillow pans are really awesome and make pillow caking really easy and fun.

Acjohnson Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 10

luvmysmoother I had such a hard time with doing it that way. Any tips on getting the seems even?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%