Confused Freeze Or Chill??

Decorating By Jessy133 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm by Sweetcakester

Jessy133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessy133 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

This is only my 2nd post on here so you can see I am veryy new to cakes. I have been reading a lot about the best ways to decorate and prepare the cake.

I live in Miami, FL so very hot/humid weather here. I keep reading about chilling cakes and stuff, but I am totally confused when people say to chill cakes, does that mean like actually freeze them in the freezer or put them in the refrigerator?

I am confused on the steps of this, when the cakes come out of the oven, are you suppose to let it cool in room temp. overnight or for several hours, then crumb coat it and then put it in the freezer or fridge or you freeze/refrigerate the cake then crumb coat it and put it back in the cool to put the fondant?

Sorry for the questions I am lost!

Thank you for reading icon_smile.gif

5 replies
fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 6

Ok this is what I do, and remember everyone seems to do it differently. After baking I let my cakes cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing, then I let them cool completely before wrapping in plastic wrap(very securely) and freezing them(yes in the freezer). Though I have just chilled them overnight in the refrigerator and to and that works as well. Then the next day I cut and fill my frozen cake, place a plate on top and lightly cover in plastic wrap over night to let the cake and fillings settle. The next day I crumb coat with buttercream, place in the fridge for 15 minutes to set then finish with the second round of buttercream, unless I am using ganache and I do it all in one swoop. Then I cover in fondant, decorate and leave in a cool place( I do not refrigerate my fondant cakes) until delivery which is typically the following day. Whew! HTH you some. I am sure you will get plenty of ppl that do it differently, it is a matter of trial and error to see what works for you!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 6

The reason you're confused is because everyone uses their own method that combines all of those EXCEPT putting an uniced cake in the refrigerator. NEVER do this. It will dry out your cake.

It also depends on the type of BC you use. If you use IMBC/SMBC it's easiest to cover in fondant when chilled but not everyone even does this.

It just matters what method you develop that works for you.

I personally take cakes and wrap them slightly cooled or even completely cooled (a few hours) and stick them in the freezer but there are times I don't even do this. It's all up to you.

Jessy133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessy133 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 6

What is IMBC or SMBC? Sorry I am new to this

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy133

What is IMBC or SMBC? Sorry I am new to this

It's Italian Meringue/Swiss Meringue buttercream. A nice fluffy type of BC but a bit tricky to make.

Sweetcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakester Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 6

Fairmaiden0101-question if are carving a cake when do you do this after the first overnight?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%