How Nervous Do You Get?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm by TrixieTreats

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 19

I am always so nervous when I bake and decorate cakes...even though i love it...but its like my heart is always racing...specially when its for a party...my son's bday party is coming up..and i am stressed about the cake...
when will this nervousness end???? icon_smile.gif

18 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 19

When does the nervousness go away??

When you start having confidence in your ability and you discover you CAN and WILL do this and you are pretty darn good at it!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 19

I only get nervous when I do wedding cakes cause you can't mess up someone's wedding.

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 19

Yes I get nervous., still new at cake decorating and Things I can do normally, let it be for a wedding cake and I will screw it up everytime.

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 19

oh my goodness I get so nervous but I have not done many at all. The last cake I did I had night mares about the woman not liking it and putting things off it in a rage!! she LOVED the cake.

My other issue is I feel the need to point out the bits I am not happy with icon_sad.gif

Sometimes I do wonder if its worth it then I think course it is I love it!!!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 19

I decorate cakes for a hobby so I only bake and decorate cakes for friends and family I've been doing this for about 12 yrs I'm self taught and I still get nervous, especially right now I have a baby shower cake due Saturday I was told I could do whatever I wanted to but I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, so I'm a little nervous about that, but the best feeling is when a mom tells me her child will just sit and stare at a cake that I've made as if they are waiting for the characters to start moving around on the cake Ive had that told to me a few times that makes me so happy because I know I accomplished what I set out to do that was to please the child with his Birthday cake that is the best feeling .

Molly icon_smile.gif

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 19

The only time recently that I have gotten nervous was a couple of weeks ago w/my first stacked wedding cake! I wanted to puke the entire day, the entire way to the hall, the entire way home, and that evening! LOL I travelled with it stacked and that I believe is why I was so darn nervous.

BUT I got the sweetest email from the bride the next day and made me feel so much better about the whole wedding cake process!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 19

It goes away, as said above, when you believe in yourself and in your own skill.

Ever seen non-parental-people or a new parent hold a baby? Holy cow, they act like the kid is made of glass! compare it to the mom of 3 or 4 who grabs the baby in one arm, her purse and keys in the other, while dragging 2 others behind her as she pushes the grocery cart to the car.

Confidence .... experience ..... it, too, shall come! thumbs_up.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 19

I have found with experience it lessens. However, I read an article about an actress once....when asked if she still had butterflies she answered "yes, and I will as long as I am trying to do my best"

And I think more than being nervous, it is an excitement about doing a great job and waiting to see the finished product. We dont do the same design over and over and over, so I believe we get excited over doing something new. And the hope that it will come out as we picture it in our minda. Ao, maybe it is not always all nervousness.

Am I saying what I mean????

Pickulz Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 10:51am
post #10 of 19

Aww..thanks so much!!!

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 19

I'm always nervous, but then i am still a beginner. the worst i have been was doing a baby shower cake.when i assembled it the night b4 the m2be came into work it turned out bigger than i thought it would! i didnt sleep a wink that night. my husband had to stop me from going back to work to kidnap the cake, and replacing it with one i might be able to whip up in time (which we all know is impossible). turned out the cake went down well, and i got some interest from local businesses who wanted large corporate cakes making. nerves and excitement are so close its hard to tell them apart at times. striving to meet a customers expectations is always nerve wracking for me!! but it onyl kicks in when the cake is completed!!!

have fUn xx

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 19

I agree it's the Wedding Cakes I worry over, I would HATE to ruin someones day. You can always trip.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 19

I think some people need to be a little less cocksure at times. There are some scary looking cakes out there from some exalted folks in this business that would have great chances of ending up on Cakewrecks on any day but Sunday. I see so many people who just are stuck at this mediocre sloppy level and are all, eh, whatever about it. Stuff I wouldn't let out my door.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:02pm
post #14 of 19

i get less nervous as time goes on but i still get butterflies when i stack wedding cakes or cupcake towers in case i drop something. I also get nervous when covering larger tiers but once its done i relax and get on with the decorating - ive been caking for almost 2 years and have a cupcake shop now so ive been doing it every day for 8 months and the nerves definilty lessen - i used to be really sweating and shakey with every new order I got for kids birthdays and christenings and now i know i can do it im ok.

Saying that i have had to ring two brides recently to admit that I couldnt do their cake design as it was too hard for me and that made me feel EXACTLY like i used to when i started off - thankfully both brides were really really easy going and had reserve options that we both were happy with - lesson learned - dont take on anything that is too far out of your comfort zone - no harm in challenging yourself but do a dummy first and then at least if it goes wrong you have months or weeks to sort out a new design like I had.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:32pm
post #15 of 19

I get super super nervous when making my cakes...

I'm always worrying "Are all these scraps that I'm eating going to make me gain more weight?"

It makes me nervous.

Then I just turn off the lights, cause as I've read calories don't count in the dark.

And seriously... yes, I get nervous. But then again I'm an amatuer hobby baker. icon_smile.gif

Pickulz Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:33am
post #16 of 19

Darthburn: That's hilarious!!! I forgot about the weight gain after eating all the scraps!!!' LOL!!!!!!!

I guess there some amount of excitment and more nervousness for me right now...and im also just a hobby baker...but for example i am making a cake for my sons bday next friday...and im still going back and forth with 2 designs i have in mind ..one designs that i can manage hopefully easily...and another challenging cake that i really want to try but not sure if i can do it yet!

nancyg Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #17 of 19

Talk about tripping etc. I always take a rolling cart in my car, it folds down flat. And roll my cakes in as I am afraid of dropping or tripping.

Funny story...just a couple months ago I had hip replacement and I am a little slow right now. Husband always helps anyway. But, is MACHO and refuses to use the cart....

So...we are taking a fairly heavy cake into a large building (Hence walking a long distance.) Well the heavier it gets the faster he walks...We are on an elevator and the lady says go right off elevator and go into first door on left. WELL, he jumps off elevator walking F_A_S_T Goes past a glass wall and thinks the next section of tglass is an opening. Walking fast right into the glass..... All 4 tiers slide to the front edge of cake board because of hardness of hit....and flattens all tiers in the front.

And to make matters worse, his whole body falls against the back of cake and flattens the whole backside of cake.

Cake was quilted BC with pearl dragees. Well, I had to really work to get it presentable.
Then, a lady behind us who saw it. Comes into the room where I am reapiring it and says do you want these pearls that were stuck to the glass?????

nancyg Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 19

PS I bought the cart at office depot. Not real expensive.

But, guess what we use the cart now!!!!!

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm
post #19 of 19

That is soooooo funny nancy! "do you want the pearls that were stuck to the glass"!!!!

I get nervous about timing, particularly when I have more than two cakes to complete for the same day. Not so much executing, unless I am trying something entirely new. I work full time and cake in the evenings and on weekends. So, I get stressed at about 8 pm on Friday, when all the cakes are sitting there staring at me... and the clock waiting for buttercream, fondant...and uh...decoration....

So, since I can't start working on cakes until about 5:30 and it seems like those first few hours of caking go by sooooo fast, I hit panic mode. It isn't until they are all covered and ready to be decorated that I feel a bit of relief and the fun part kicks in. Until that point, the time crunch is SUPER stressful, and I wonder what the heck I got myself into!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%