How Best To Do This Design

Decorating By pastrychef101 Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 1:18pm by pastrychef101

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 10

I will be doing this design on a cake for Saturday. I've never done any type of string work on a wedding cake before. What is the best way to do this design? What tips were used for the heavy piping? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm really stressing about this. Thanks!

9 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 10

Looks to be about a tip 7 or 8 Maybe even a 10. Are you using a pattern for this?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 10

There are several pics on this site of this cake. They piped in r/i.Just saw one the other day, they said they piped it with r/i.hth

pastrychef101 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 10

Would the design work in buttercream? I don't have a pattern and was thinking about making one to make sure I get straight lines.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:24am
post #5 of 10

The design would work in buttercream, however the advantage to RI is that if it were to get bumped or touched, the design would stay in place. There are so many people who like to touch cakes! Good luck and be sure to post pics!

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #6 of 10

I think I saw this cake in another thread a while back . They said its actually lace layed on the cake and piped over with icing , cant remember what kind of icing ... I know Id never heard this before ....

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:55am
post #7 of 10

i want to say the larger gauge detailing is fondant or gumpaste vs buttercream

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #8 of 10

Good luck! I don't have any suggestions to offer, but I definitely want to see pics when it is done. I LOVE this cake!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #9 of 10

I thought it was fondant for the outer/thicker pieces and painted 'netting'.

If doing it in buttercream, mark areas with toothpick, do inside detail work (either by piping w/ #0, or #1 tip or painting with a fine brush and airbrush paint on crusted surface). Then, pipe outline of areas with #2 for the small flowers and dots, and a combination of tip #s 8/9-4

pastrychef101 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 10

I saw the thread about using actual lace and piping over the pieces with royal icing. Then the pieces are glued to the cake using RI. However, I'm not sure how well that would go over with my bride. It would make my life easier for sure , but I think she wants everything to be edible on the cake. Thanks to everyone for your input and help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%