Hard Cake After Refrigerating?

Decorating By J1977 Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 1:42am by indydebi

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 6

I baked Sylvia Weinstocks yellow cake recipe on Thursday, iced Friday and ended up not using one of the tiers and we ate it Friday night iced and filled and it was delicious!.

Once the cake was complete I put it in the fridge for transport the next morning. The customer said the icing and filling were terrific but the cake seemed underabaked and/or frozen. I know that the butter/fats can harden once cold again but shouldn't the cake have thawed in 3 hours? I took it out at 11 and the party didn't start until 2 so they probably didn't even eat until 3 or after?

Are there certain recipes that shouldn't go in the fridge or did she just cut into a cold cake? I even used the heating cores so I saw the inside myself and know it was baked thru. This is my second cake for her and she raved over the first and I don't feel like she is trying to get over on me and she even said in the email that she doesn't expect anything from me.

Any advice is appreciated.

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 6

Cake does go stale in the fridge, is it possible it wasn't completly sealed by icing? Normally icing will protect the cake.
Would have thought after that time it would be at room temp - unless she also kept it in the fridge?
xx

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 6

Is there a particular reason that you refrigerated the cake? Around here the temperature really dropped this weekend. Depending upon the size of the cake, it might not have come to room temperature. Unless I am using a perishable filling, I seldom refrigerate cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 6

I also never put my cakes in the 'frig.

I've often wondered why people put some things in the 'frig that don't need to go in the frig ..... crisco, peanut butter, ketchup, bread, cake, etc.

Here's a thread with info on refrigerating a cake can cause it to dry out: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=636183&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=frig&&start=0

patrylady's post on page 2 of this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=608252&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cooks&&start=15

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 6

I put it in the fridge because I wanted the buttercream/filling to get a bit more firm. It was nice weather here but it seemed humid in the house.

The customer said that she has leftovers and were kept on the counter overnight and today it is the same so it wasn't due to cold cake like I suggested.

I torted both tiers so I knew that they were fully baked when filling them. I just had a bad cake week period!

Indydebi thanks for the links, I will look them over.

Jen.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1977

I put it in the fridge because I wanted the buttercream/filling to get a bit more firm.

Here's a thread with opinions on why that logic is a fallacy, also.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6857840#6857840

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%