Gumpaste Has Been In The Fridge...

Decorating By snazzygem Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm by tonedna

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 13

I have some gumpaste that has been in the fridge since the end of August. Is it still okay to use or should I toss it and make a new batch?

Thanks!
Kate icon_smile.gif

12 replies
mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 13

I always put my gumpaste in the freezer. Depending on the temperature in your freezer it can last for up to three months. As long as it is sealed I think it will hold for over a month (maybe even two) in the fridge.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 13

I believe Nicholas Lodge has said his gumpaste will last in the frig for 6 months and a year in the freezer. Yours should be fine.

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 13

agree with mpetty, i don't use Nicholas's gumpaste, I use Edna's and that last 6 mos in frig.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 13

I've used gumpaste much older than that that was kept at room temp in airtight plastic (Foodsaver) and it was fine. Nobody eats it anyway, so check to see how it handles....

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 13

I just took a class with Nicholas Lodge and he said fridge for 6 months and freezer indefinitely. Hope that helps!!!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 13

Edna uses Nicholas Lodge's recipe. It should be fine. If you take it out and it's separating, meaning it's got a goo on the outside, trash it, otherwise, it should be fine.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:07am
post #8 of 13

If it's not dried out, then use it. I don't think that stuff spoils...

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

If it's not dried out, then use it. I don't think that stuff spoils...

I agree. I've read that you shouldn't keep the NL gumpaste out of the fridge for more than a week, and my experience was that on Day 8 the gumpaste was just too dry to work with, not that it was "spoiled" or moldy.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 13

Humm, I use the Wilton gum paste and have never refrigerated it. should I start doing this? I usually keep it in my pantry with my fondant.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 13

Wilton doesnt require refrigeration..It will last a long time if it's sealed properly.
Magic Gum last a long time too without refirgeration as long as it's well sealed and it doesnt harden up.
Tylose should be store in the fridge for up to six months although it can be out of the fridge for a few days. I dont like to leaving it for too long outside, specially if its hot. I have tested this and it works well. After six months the gumpaste doesnt dry as fast and the humidity will affect it easier.
Major issue for gumpaste to go bad is lack of proper sealing. If you have a food saver sealer it will last even longer. Air is the biggest enemy of gumpaste.
Edna icon_smile.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:20pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you Edna!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 13

Anytime!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%