Carving A Stacked And Filled Cake - What Filling Is Best?

Decorating By katie11 Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 9:32am by Evoir

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 10

Hello!
I have a silly question: I am planning on making a bus cake for my son's Fun Bus party. I don't have to do any major carving, but I would like to round the top edges of the bus. My son wants strawberry filling, but that seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Can anyone recommend a strawberry filling that won't slide when I am carving?

Thanks!

Katie

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 10

I'd do a strawberry meringue buttercream, it will be stiff enough to keep its shape and not ooze all over the place.

katie11 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 10

Do you mean like SMBC? I love that stuff, but I feel like it is kind of squishy. Maybe if I freeze before carving, then it will be hard.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 10

Make ur normal bc, and add something strawberry flavoured to it. Simple!
xx

costumeczar Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie11

Do you mean like SMBC? I love that stuff, but I feel like it is kind of squishy. Maybe if I freeze before carving, then it will be hard.

I usually do an IMBC, not the SMBC. When you cook the sugar take it to 250-255 degrees, not 240, and it will be stiffer. Just add some strawberry preserves to it, and that won't make it much softer.

katie11 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 10

I've never made IMBC, do you have a recipe to recommend.

I really appreciate your help in this!

costumeczar Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:34am
post #7 of 10

I use , 5 egg whites,1/4 tsp cream or tartar ,1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and 1 pound of butter at room temp.

Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar to a stiff peak. Heat the sugar and water to 248 degrees (up to 255 for stiffer icing). Pour the hot sugar directly into the mixer with the egg whites while it's running on high speed (use a pouring shield if you're worried about it splattering all over). Leave it on high for a minute, then turn it down to the lowest speed and let it go until it's cooled to room temp. Add the butter a tablespoonful at a time while beating on high speed. It might look loose, but keep beating it and it will eventually come together.

If the meringue is too hot when you add the butter it might not come together, just put the mixer bowl and whip into the fridge for a while until it cools off, then rebeat it.

If the butter is too cold it might break and look like cottage cheese. If that happens take a dishtowel, run hot water over it, and wrap it around the mixer bowl until the towel cools off. Repeat until the bowl warms up and the icing comes together.

To flavor it, add up to 3 oz. liquid like liquers or fruit juices, or just add preserves to get the flavor that you want.

katie11 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:42am
post #8 of 10

Thank you for the detailed instructions! I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Katie

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 8:26am
post #9 of 10

I never fill my cakes before I carve. I stack all the layers and carve the desired shape. Then I remove the layers add the filling and put everything back together. If you place your frosting dam and add filling then carve you take a chance of cutting into the frosting dam. If you carve first then you don't have that problem.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:32am
post #10 of 10

I would use the spreadable ganache (ie similar to Planet cake's method. Its carves beautifully. with no need for damming.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%