New Member Here And Am Wondering About The Wasc??

Baking By sweetts99 Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 3:43am by litlecuchi

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 11

I know what the abreviation means but I am confused as to the usage. From what I am seeing, and I could be mistaken, is it just the added flour, sugar, and sourcream that you are adding to a boxed mix?? I get kind of lost when we get to the eggs and such. If the mix by its self calls for say 2 eggs and I want to use the WASC method what do I do.

I also just wanted to say how amazing you alls work is and I have been checking the site out for some time now. I hope to be as good as the lot of you! Thanks so much for your help! icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

10 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:57am
post #2 of 11

Well, it is mostly the added flour, sugar, and sour cream, but also almond extract that makes it a WASC, as opposed to a white cake straight from a mix.

If you can tell us which recipe you're using, it would be easier to tell you what to do with regards to the eggs. I am pretty sure the one I use calls for 8 egg whites for two cake mixes, which is one extra versus what my boxes say.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:03am
post #3 of 11

Welcome to the forum! I'm a newbie since March. I've been using the Cake Doctor basic WASC recipe with great success--it bakes beautifully and holds up really well. I can't personally tell the difference with or without the almond extract--still tastes great.

1 package (18.25 oz.) plain white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
½ cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond, or lemon)

sweetts99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetts99 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 11

Redpanda,and Apti ,I am basically just trying to figure out how to apply the WASC method to any cake mix. Thank you soooo much for helping me. I was/am confused with what to do with the regular cake mix directions,you know when it comes to the oil and eggs, if using the WASC method. I assume that the sourcream replaces the oil? If I were going to make a chocolate cake mix using the WASC method do I use the amount of eggs called for or do I add or subtract one? I hope I am making sense. I really don't want to waste ingredients. LOL
Thank you for the help! Look forward to "talking" with you again.

Apti Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 11

sweets99, I'll go ahead and pm you with some recipes and how-to tips I've typed up on how to get level cakes, smooth buttercream etc. and the recipes I've used so far with success.

I'm still new enough to baking and decorating that I wrote down every single tiny detail of how to do everything because I haven't been at it long enough to take it for granted or just do it automatically.

Always feel free to pm me with ANY questions! I'd love to pass along some of the help I've gotten so far on my cake journey.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 3:36am
post #6 of 11

Here is a master list of WASC variations for many different flavors, and many other recipes using box mixes as base.
https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

Apti Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:23am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Here is a master list of WASC variations for many different flavors, and many other recipes using box mixes as base.

THANK YOU! Bookmarked.

Jengo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jengo Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 4:53am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

You rock! I bookmarked this link and I'll look at it tomorrow icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:43am
post #9 of 11

Sweets,

When you make the WASC you completely disregard the box directions, and go with the measurements provided by the WASC recipe. That goes for any flavor of cake mix. You can sub liquids for liquids. For example, where it calls for water you can use milk or cold strong coffee (for a chocolate cake, for example). I think the recipe is doubled (with two cake mixes), but to make a single recipe you just cut everything in half. It really isn't that difficult. I have tried it with both Duncan and Betty mixes and both come out fine. Hope this helps.

AC

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:23am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetts99

Redpanda,and Apti ,I am basically just trying to figure out how to apply the WASC method to any cake mix. Thank you soooo much for helping me. I was/am confused with what to do with the regular cake mix directions,you know when it comes to the oil and eggs, if using the WASC method. I assume that the sourcream replaces the oil? If I were going to make a chocolate cake mix using the WASC method do I use the amount of eggs called for or do I add or subtract one? I hope I am making sense. I really don't want to waste ingredients. LOL
Thank you for the help! Look forward to "talking" with you again.

Your question was answered, but I wanted to chim in as well. I use the *Original WASC* recipe. There is no oil in that recipe. I have had better luck with it. I tired to make the WASC recipe and probably threw away 6 cakes. It is notorious for not baking all of the way through and then falling in the center....search for posts about it! My issue with these recipes is no one ever gives bake times. I am a newer baker and rely on bake times!

My tip for the Original WASC and WASC if you try it is to use flower nails, but not bake even strips. Bake one cake at a time if you can. Start at 300 degrees for about 10 min and then increase it to 325. Back it to the longest bake time for that cake size. So, if mine said 30-35 min, I would bake for 35min before looking at it. Then I would bake 5 more min at a time if needed. Generally I found they took only about an extra 10 min or so.

Good luck!

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:43am
post #11 of 11

thank you guys for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%