Pricing Gumpaste Figures

Decorating By Bskinne

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 1

Anyone have useful tips on pricing figures? I was asked to do a wedding cake next May, but unfortunately I am expecting and my due date is in May, so no cakes at that time...
So she came back and asked me to do gumpaste figures for the cakes that the baker she is using can put on (apparently it is a friend of a friend who does cakes from home) They are not easy figures, btw...She will have a large cake (16" round is the preliminary size) with a huge peacock with the tail hanging down. She sent me a couple of pics of other ones she found online, ranging from $80-$140, but the tail (plume, whatever) is different lengths, and I wouldn't know how long this tail will be until she can figure out cake stand heights. She will also have 5 smaller satellite cakes, and they will spell out the last name. She had found wooden letters she likes with a very orbate, glittery peacock feather design painted on them. Each one was $50. I'm pretty sure I can do them in gumpaste and disco dust, but my issue is I DON'T know how long they would take me to do. I could guesstimate that it would take maybe 5lbs of gumpaste, plus the cost of various colors of dust but really have no way of factoring in the artistic and time cost....sorry this is so long but any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%