Sticking Dried Gumpaste Into Buttercream

Decorating By susgene Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm by vicki3336

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 6

I am making cupcakes and want to stick a rainbow (standing up) into bettercream. Would I have a better chance at them holding up if I dipped the bottoms into candy coating first? What do you think?

Thanks!

5 replies
pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 6

I think that would be a good idea. I have stuck gumpaste items onto buttercream before but I made sure I did it as close as possible to the event as I could. I would imagine standing up rainbows would soften pretty quick though.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 6

I once put some gumpaste goal posts into football cupcakes. Overnight, the goal posts bent over. I think the candy coating is a good idea.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your replies. I didn't know if the oil in the candy coating would also make the gumpaste too soft. I'm going to try it. Thanks again!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 6

Maybe it depends on the gumpaste. I use Nick Lodge's recipe, and I've put dried bow loops on a buttercream cake, piped a rose on the top, and put the whole thing in the fridge for a couple of days, without the loops softening at all.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 6

I used Wilton premade gumpaste. Perhaps I hadn't let them dry long enough. I think it was a couple of days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%