From Scratch Or The Box???

Decorating By caked4life Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 8:54pm by kns93

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 7

Are you a from "scratch" baker or do you doctor your cake mixes. If you doctor your cake mixes, do you use one particular doctored cake mix recipe as a base for all of your cakes or do you experiment with different recipes?

Thanks!

6 replies
pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 7

I like doing mine from scratch however I am interested in seeing the doctored mix replies because I plan on using a box mix for a competition since it is decoration only and they are not tasting the cake but for some odd reason it has to be real cake

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 7

Scratch. Never interested in mixes. But I guess I'm not in the business, so I'm not counting price here. I understand it would be cheaper to doctor mixes.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 7

It's not about box or not box for me. It is about end product and how it tastes. I will use whatever produces the best results.

I prefer chocolate from scratch. I like the flavor of the cocoa when it blooms and the moistness the oil gives to the cake.

For vanilla, I like the DH Butter Recipe Golden. It uses real butter and mixes up almost like a buttercream frosting. It is so thick and good I sometimes don't want to bake it! And it is failproof! Of course I add flavorings, spices and coffee depending on the recipe, but the proof is in the pudding - people demand it. So, I make it.

As we all do, I constantly try other recipes, but these are my go to, no fail, basic cakes. We all have 'em.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 7

I was a strictly box mix until just recently. I mean like last week recently. I think both are absolutely fine. When I used boxed, I almost ALWAYS doctored the mix. Extracts, the WASC recipe, nuts, preserves, etc etc. I think it's about taste. However you make it to a nice finished product is absolutely fine. icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

It's not about box or not box for me. It is about end product and how it tastes. I will use whatever produces the best results.

Perfectly put. I have straight box mixes that i use, i modify other box mixes, and i also have receipes from scratch. I find what i like best in a certain flavor and stick with it. My white and chocolate cakes happen to be modified box mixes, but i do a yellow and red velvet from scratch. My other flavors are a mix also.

kns93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kns93 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 7

I'm just getting started and I have to say that I am terrified someone will call me out on doctored cake mixes, although I think I give the general public too much credit. I would love to be a straight from scratch kind of gal but I know some of those WASC recipes are VERY hard to beat. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%