"how To" Fondant Questions

Decorating By tericakes Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 1:17am by catlharper

tericakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tericakes Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 4

Need help with various fondant issues. What type of cake can I use for sculpting, then coving with fondant?
I've been told to NEVER cover a frozen cake with fondant because it will "sweat and bubble" as it thaws, is this correct? I need to make some designer cakes in the next month, but am scared. Any recipes, advice or hints?
Thanks in advance!
Nervous Nelly

3 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 4

I really like the durable 3d cake or the WASC recipes. My family likes the Durable 3d recipe better, but both will work.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1972/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

Don't be nervous you will do fine, practice if you can first.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 4

Pound cakes are always good carving cakes, but I've carved everything. My red velvet is extremely moist and I carved it, but I wouldn't recommend it! It's true about not covering a frozen cake. However, slightly freezing a cake will make it easier to carve. There is a forum on here that is all about gourmet flavors, and I'm pretty sure it's been made into a sticky so it stays on top of the forum it's in, I just don't know which one it is right off hand! icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 4

I have used all sorts of cakes from box mix to scratch for carving and as long as it's frozen when you carve it you shouldn't have a problem. Anything lighter than a box mix...like angelfood....may not work tho'. I take my cakes out of the freezer, fill, carve, crumbcoat then let sit and settle/come to room temp for at least 3 hours before putting the fondant on. The only time I've had bubbles in my fondant after covering is when I have rushed the settling time. HTH

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%