Satin Ice Tips...?

Decorating By andiesweet Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 9:23am by afunk

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 3

I used to work in a custom shop where we made our own fondant ( michelle fosters recipe) and i got spoiled working with that stuff because it is sooo easy to work with. I went to another shop where they only use Satin Ice fondant ( it smells like paint... gross)
Anyway... I couldn't get the hang of using the satin ice, all of my edges were cracky , it just looked terrible. It made me look like i don't know what I'm doing. Does anyone have any advice on how to work this stuff. I don't want to lose another job over satin ice...
thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

2 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 3:14am
post #2 of 3

In my opinion Satin Ice dries way too quick and it really doesn't like powdered sugar. The only time i use it is when I need black or red. Locally I can only get Satin Ice or Fondarific. I have found if you mix the two it's the best of both worlds. I guess my advice would be to work quick always keep it covered with plastic wrap when not working with it and don't use powdered sugar. I'm sure others that work with it all the time will have better answers for you.

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:23am
post #3 of 3

My best tips, besides working quickly, are to coat your hands with shortening before kneading or try adding a little glycerine to the fondant.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%