Need Help With Mickey Mouse Club Cake, How To Make His Head?

Decorating By frosting111 Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 4:24am by suzannesaucepan

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:10am
post #1 of 15

How do I cover a round ball in Fondant?

I have a Mickey Mouse Club cake to do starting tomorrow, I need to make his head. How do I do that in fondant to make it solid without ripples, tearing, and seams?

Any other tips to do this cake would be appreciated, Thanks Mary

14 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 15

When I made mine I used a 6 inch styrofoam ball and 2-4 inch balls sprayed black with a black spray paint for sytrofoam.I glued a long white wilton plastic dowel (The thick ones) with hot glue up inside.I sort of dug out the ball a bit to glue it in..Then I used wooden skewers for the 4 inch balls and glued them in and then I glued the 4 inch balls to the 6 inch head to make the head.It worked great because I was concerned about the weight and I knew fondant would be too heavy never mind trying to cover a round ball in fondant.It worked great!! I use a piece of black fondant around the neck area so spray paint would not be touching cake.The head poked right down into the 8 inch half ball and 8 inch round and was totally sturdy.The customer loved it...See my photos for my 3D Mickey Mouse playhouse cake.It was actaully alot simplier than I thought it would be and held up great.

fondantgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgirl Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:47am
post #3 of 15

When I made a mickey head I use a round cake and then just covered it with fondant like a regular cake alot easier than covering styrofoam. and i use fondant circles dried and stuff them in the cake for ears. i attached a pic of it.

fondantgirl Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:54am
post #4 of 15

well i tried to attach a pic and it won't do it for some reason icon_sad.gif sorry! I posted it to my photo gallery on here http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1817585&done=1

frosting111 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:56am
post #5 of 15

@Kiddikakes, I cant find your pic, I must ne overlooking it can you post it here for me please?

@cake_girl4, so you covered a round bal cake in fondant,
or just a round cake?
Would love to see your pic too.

Im stressing over this cake bad, I never even knew there was a such thing as a Mickey Mouse Playhouse, till I got this last minute order!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:02am
post #6 of 15

I'll try and post it...Ahhh I forgot to add it to my photos..I did now!!

fondantgirl Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #7 of 15

i included my link to my photo on my reply. did it work? it was a round ball cake- sports ball you can use. i actually carved mine out of regular round cakes stacked.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:13am
post #8 of 15

I also used styrofoam balls and painted them black. So much easier doing it this way.

frosting111 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone, not sure what Im going to do yet, I just wish there was a way to cover the head in fondant easier...

Any one else with who has more ideas, tips and tricks to do this sure would be appreciated!

fondantgirl Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 15

oh also if you cover a styrofoam ball with black fondant i suggest rolling it out thicker than normal about 1/4" thick or a little thicker than that. it seems to work the best for me when i do it this way. i cover the styrofoam ball with a thin layer of piping gel while the ball is on a wooden dowel in another piece of styrofoam or cake dummie and then i lay the fondant over it and start smoothing it from top to bottom of ball as fast as you can so it doesn't tear from the weight of the fondant. Once on then you just smooth it out with a fondant smoother and hands. it can be pretty frustrating and i would buy extra black fondant just in case. The first time I did this I had to do it twice but once I did it I was proud lol!!

The problem I faced was either tearing or rippling at the bottom of the ball. Oh I also flattened the bottom of the ball slightly, it will be easier to place on the cake when you are ready to do that. I usually get another piece of the same type of styrofoam and just rub it a little til it is a little flat, not too much. once covered and put on cake you will not notice that the middle of the bottom is a little flattened.

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 15

I made my ones out of sponge, I used a pyrex bowl to bake the cake in once cooked covered it with black fondant made ears out of fondant put cocktail sticks in and left to dry. once dry inserted them in to the cake worked a treat!!

mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:00am
post #12 of 15

what if you cover the top half in fondant and then turn it over and do the other side?? not sure, just trying to help...

frosting111 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:49am
post #13 of 15

Thanks everyone, I decided to use teh 6" styrofoam ball and covered it in fondant, was chore to do, but worth my time and efforts.

Thank you ALL for your responses!
Mary

Heres isa pic of the finished product icon_biggrin.gif

frosting111 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:53am
post #14 of 15

well dang it ddint load..let me try again

suzannesaucepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannesaucepan Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:24am
post #15 of 15

I used a styrofoam ball painted it black and covered it with crushed oreo cookie crumbs. I know you've made the cake already though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%