Need Help With Supporting Decorations

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm by ljhow623

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a wedding cake with a grape vine strolling down from top to bottom. The vine will be inserted into the center poll and come out from there. The top cake is 6" square and the vine will be laying on that and then bending over to go down the cake. One branch will go between the top and middle tiers and the other will go between the middle and bottom tier. The center vine will flow down the front of the cake. I have attached a picture of the grape vine so that you can see what I am talking about. It's a bit heavy so I was wondering how you would support it so that it doesn't damage the cake. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

6 replies
ljhow623 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 7

For some reason it didn't let me upload the picture. It's in my pics, here is the link.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1816951.html

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 7

Will the cake be covered in fondant or BC? If it is fondant, I don't think it would damage the cake.

ljhow623 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 7

It will be buttercream.

ljhow623 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 7

I know alot of you out there deal with structural issues. So there has got to be some answers. Please help. I really don't want to take my grape vine apart.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 7

Can you attach some picks to the grapevine that will go into the cake. That would keep it from shifting around. Hopefully somebody else that has actually made a cake with a sililar arrangement will comment. I'm sorry I'm not more help.

ljhow623 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 7

I was thinking of putting a support post (i.e. a sturdy plastic tube) under the vine as the vine is heavy and I don't want it to sink and teat into the cake. Just wondering if there are any other suggestions out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%