Smbc Under Fondant Users??

Decorating By cocobean Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm by litlecuchi

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:00pm
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKakes4Me

Kind of like squeezing out the last bit of toothpaste. You don't squish it in the middle, then move to another area of the tube and jump around all random like.

LOL, best advice I think I've ever heard on applying fondant! icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:19pm
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFood4

I did a Super Mario cake recently with Oreo IMBC and MMF over it. The oreo was crushed and I did a crumb coat with it then a final coat of plain IMBC over that so that the crumbs wouldn't show through the fondant (there's always a way).

I am so going to try this! I saw your cake and is so smooth, you would never know there's crushed Oreos under all that.

My godson wants a Mario cake for his birthday in November... I guess I have time to practice. Yikes.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:34pm
post #33 of 43

I use Massa, I'm not familiar with MMF or MFF or Satin Ice. I smelled a bucket of SI once and gagged. icon_sad.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:38pm
post #34 of 43

Okay, I think I'll try IMBC under fondant again and really pay attention to my smoothing method. That just might be what gets me into trouble. thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:41pm
post #35 of 43

KimmyKakes4M, I tried googling Massa and a lot of unrelated stuff came up. Is that a brand of fondant?

KimmyKakes4Me Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:42pm
post #36 of 43

http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/505023.html

This is Massa. Several types. I use the white chocolate usually.

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 8:53pm
post #37 of 43

Thank you! I'll try to look for it in NY or other sites, I had never seen it. I have tried all the fondant brands and out of all of them, I like Pettinice better than the others... now I have to try this one. The absolute worst is Wilton.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:39pm
post #38 of 43

Wow!
Thanks for all the advice.. I too use SMBC under fondant and was having bubble issues...

And this weekend I just did a 3 tiered square cake covered in SMBC and satin ice, but I couldn't get the corners really sharp, is there something I should be doing to get the corners sharp??

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:59pm
post #39 of 43

kimmy, do I have to refridgerate the cake covered with meringue bc after appling fondant??

KimmyKakes4Me Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm
post #40 of 43

Yes. Unless you're delivering it that day. Either way, it needs to be kept in a/c.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:39am
post #41 of 43

Once the fondant is on I would want to just keep it in a cool basement. Would that be o.k.?

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:27pm
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

Once the fondant is on I would want to just keep it in a cool basement. Would that be o.k.?

It should be fine. Think of it this way, IMBC/SMBC are like a stick of butter - hard when cold, soft at room temperature, liquid when too warm/hot. If a stick of butter will be fine sitting in the basement without melting into a puddle, then your cake would be fine too icon_biggrin.gif

coobean - you don't have to refridgerate the cake once covered in fondant. I do since it just makes it easier to transport a cold, firm cake. But if it's not going anywhere, you can let it sit out in a cool place.

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm
post #43 of 43

Thank you guys for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%