Boston Cream Pie

Baking By amarilloyankee Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 1:27am by EvMarie

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 6

I am in search of a really good tasting and not too hard to make Boston Cream pie for my step MIL.

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure if it's a "true" Boston Cream Pie...but, I always thought they were just yellow cake, a vanilla cream filling & chocolate fudge frosting. I made one a couple weeks ago. I used:

cake:
1 yellow box cake
1/2 c oil
1 c milk
4 eggs
1 box instant vanilla pudding (vanilla)
350 for 50 minutes...but check your layers since you're not baking one big cake...might take less time.

filling:
1 box instant vanilla pudding (vanilla) - reduce the milk to make a thicker pudding, I believe there is a reccomended amount on the box.

chocolate ganache:
2c semi sweet chips
2c heavy cream
2t vanilla

heat the cream in a double boiler just before a boil, remove from heat - add chips and vanilla, cover for a couple minutes....that lets the chips get all melty...then wisk all together. You gotta cool enough so it's not super runny. This may take hours...or put in the fridge to speed it up. Then pour over assembled layers. It should pour nice and easy...but not be goopy.

It was really really really good. Beat the tar out of regular buttercream frosting & cake I thought.

icon_smile.gif

amarilloyankee Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much dear! icon_smile.gif

EvMarie Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #4 of 6

Sure thing!

amarilloyankee Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 6

Ok can I freeze the cakes I baked today and then do the filling and icing tomorrow?

Also how do I do the icing? I have it cooling now since most every recipe I have read says let it cool. But how does it pour then

EvMarie Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #6 of 6

Yup, you can freeze the cakes until tomorrow when you assemble. When you assemble, I'd be sure to let the cakes thaw out a bit though. I'm not sure if you'd run into a problem with pouring warm chocolate over a very cold cake. So, just to be on the safe side, I'd take the cake layers out and let them sit out before you start putting everything together.

For the icing - I'd probably put it in the fridge for tonight & bring it back out for tomorrow when I assemble. It'll probably be real fudgy from being in the fridge. So, you could microwave slowly, stirring to check consistency & then pour. Or, if it's in a pot right now, just throw a lid on it so tomorrow you can just pop it back on the stove top on low. Stir to check consistancy & pour.

I've heard people say you can leave ganache out for a couple days room temp...but I don't have enough experience to back that statement. Also...I don't prefer to microwave anything chocolate. I tend to put it on too long and/or too high & then it burns I think. I end up with lumps. So, if I wanted to make sure the ganache was okay...I'd heat slowly on the stove top.

Oh - and when you pour the icing...it'll probably be a tiny bit warm. Otherwise, it probably won't pour really nice for you. A little warm is fine...at least, according to the times I've made it.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%