I'm Throwing It Off The Roof!

Lounge By KayMc Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 12:23am by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 12

Here I go again.... I just received the cake air brush that I purchased on ebay. As hard as it was for me to believe, this BRAND NEW air brush did NOT come with a manual. I struggled to get it assembled, and think I finally have it assembled. But I've obviously done something wrong, as the compressor won't continue pumping air steadily. It's on for about 2 seconds, cuts out, then resumes. The regulator has a round pressure gauge, and the pressure never goes higher than zero. Before I throw this piece of crap out the window, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? This wasn't particularly cheap = $150 with tax, so I don't think that's it. But I have NO idea what I'm doing.

11 replies
Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 12

Which one did you buy? I am looking to buy one myself, not sure if I want that one.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 12

I can't help with the airbrush problems but if I were you I'd contact the seller on eBay. They are very anxious to avoid negative feedback and so usually give pretty good customer service. You may also be able to find the owners manual online.

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 12

They did give me great customer service. I waited about 8-10 minutes on hold, but when I got the person on the phone, he was extremely helpful. He even was pro-active and had me take it apart so he could show me how to clean it, which I'd need in the future. I think I understand it now, and now need tons of practice. I really think I only want it to paint flowers and leaves, but who knows?

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 12

I bought this model:
Master Performance Multi-Purpose Series
Airbrush Model G22 Multi-Purpose Precision Dual-Action Gravity Feed Airbrush from the Kustom Paint Superstore. It came with 12 full size bottles (8 oz each) of Americolor food coloring, and has a 1/5 hp motor. Their customer service was really excellant!

But no, I was told it doesn't come with a manual... icon_mad.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #6 of 12

oh man.. I am so sorry. I hate when peoples first experience with airbrushes are bad. Glad you got it fixed. and YES. you will need to know how to take it apart. thumbs_up.gif

KayMc Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 12

Tesso, Be kind and remember I'm a newbie: what all do you use this thing for? I know you can do background colors on the cake, plus the embellishments. Does this make the gumpaste flowers look better than the petal dust I currently use? icon_redface.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 12

I use mine to color gumpaste all the time. If you spray the color on first, let them dry, then later dust them with petal dust you'll get a nice depth of color.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 12

Usually if you google the manufacturer and the item, you should be able to find a manual pdf that you could print and have on hand. Try it, it couldn't hurt anything.

KayMc Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:03pm
post #10 of 12

Great idea, mommicakes!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Tesso, Be kind and remember I'm a newbie: what all do you use this thing for? I know you can do background colors on the cake, plus the embellishments. Does this make the gumpaste flowers look better than the petal dust I currently use? icon_redface.gif

I use it for everything, flowers, gumpaste, RI, buttercream. It all gets covered. It is especially helpful with red and black, navy, purple. All those hard to achieve, fading colors. Just airbrush and be done with them !! icon_biggrin.gif It does take practice, and be prepared to throw fondant, flowers and anything else once in a while, because it is frustrating at first. but it will come to you and you will be in "airbrush heaven too!!"

KayMc Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:23am
post #12 of 12

I can't wait to practice. I don't think I'll have a whole lot of time in October due to business travel, but I hope to practice in November.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%