Rice Krispie Treats And Heat

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm by KHalstead

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 9

I made some turrets, out of RKT and covered in Choclate ganache, these were chilled in the fridge for a day, and all seemed fine, however the day i took them out and then took them to a party, they began to destabalize , becoming horribly soft It was a warm day but they were carried in an air conditioned car for less than 30 mins.
Is there any way on earth this can be avoided or should i just avoid RKT altogether,

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 9

My guess is that it was the humidity from going to the fridge to the warm air. Why did you refridgerate the RKT? they don't need to be. They will firm up just staying on the counter.

brian1974 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 9

possibly but the towers had been out of the fridge for a day before covered in fondant , they were not refridgerated after they were covered in fondant.
I did use butter or veg oil in the mixture for the treats could this be why?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 9

I use the pre-made RKTs most of the time--just lazy. If I do make them myself, I use next to no butter in them, if any at all.

I compact them a LOT when I make structures. I'd guess that when I'm finished pushing hard onto the counter and squeezing them, they're only half the volume they were when they started.

I then put them in the fridge while I melt some candy melts. I ice on the candy melts and put them back in the fridge.

I haven't had a problem with RKT structures sagging, even in the heat.

HTH
Rae

brian1974 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 9

I used a mixture of both however in the homemade mixture i did use butter.
I compacted them down using a rolling pin and then cut out circles.
I forced dowel down the middle and refridgerated.
They came out of the fridge solid.
I covedered them in ganache 2-1 recipie
Put back in the fridge.
next day took them out and covered in fondant andleft out to dry.
I noticed about 3 hours later they had softened...

Blakecakes i heard scoring the pvc pipe helps the rkt sit well do you do this?

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, you need to roughen up the surface of the pvc--sanding or scoring is necessary.

I think you may have destabilzed them a lot when you forced the rounds onto the pipe. That would displace a lot of the compacted treats. It would probably have worked better to have formed the compacted treats onto the pole.

Others may disagree, but I don't think ganache is nearly as strong as straight chocolate or chocolate melts. The water in the cream in the ganache has to be in there somewhere.

JMHO
Rae

brian1974 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 9

thanks that helps explain alot, one more question if you dont mind.

Lets say i wanted one of my pillars to start half way up the pvc pipe.
The bootom half would be hidden.
How would i get the treats to hold on from mid point up without creating too much pressure on whatever is below it - cake for instance...

Would i need to have it rest on some sort of platform attatched to the pipe?
If so do you know how one would attatch a platformto the centre of a pipe?

thanks

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 9

If I understand you correctly, I'd think that adding a coupler with a small flange on the bottom at the level where the RKTs would start and building the RKTs to the thickness/width of the flange, would create a weight bearing transition.

I'd think you could use the pvc glue used in water lines or another non-toxic pvc glue for it.

HTH
Rae

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 9

I made a duck cake and it was about 85 degrees out and my RKT were really soft, I painted them with candy melts and let it harden, then did a couple more layers. It was super sturdy and it made them really smooth for my fondant covering, and tasted awesome (so I heard)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%