How To Convert Heavenly Wasc Recipe

Baking By KayMc Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 12:20am by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 5

I need to rebake my cake, as I baked the Sylvia Weinstock cake at 350 degrees, and it appears to be dry. I love the Heavenly WASC recipe, so I'm thinking I'll just convert that to a yellow cake. If I use a yellow cake mix, how would I convert the egg whites? The recipe calls for 4 egg whites. Would I use 2 egg whites and 1 full egg?

4 replies
nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 5

Use 3 whole eggs.

KayMc Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 5

3 whole eggs? Is there a conversion standard? I will give that a try, so thank you; just wondering how you arrived at the answer, so I know in the future.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 5

No, not a conversion, just what I personally do.

If you want to get technical, 4 egg whites is approx. 4.5 oz., 3 whole eggs is about the same weight. However, WASC is based on a white cake which is achieved by omitting the yellow egg yolks. In order to make up for the loss of the yolks, an additional white is added. However, as you have noticed, it does affect the texture/structure of the finished cake.

The yolk add fats, proteins and emulsifiers that help produce a better crumb and add moisture to the cake. So consequently, for a lot of cakes where color is not an issue, the whole egg is used.

Many times I have made the WASC using 3 whole eggs rather than just whites because I personally like the end result better (better texture, flavor, etc.) and it really doesn't affect the color much -- makes it off white. Throw in some white chocolate pudding mix and some melted chocolate chips and you have white chocolate cake (my most popular flavor!).

Hope this helps!

KayMc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:20am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much! I made it with the 3 whole eggs, and it appears to have turned out beautifully! It is a great height, and looks perfect! It's already in the freezer, so I'm happy! thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%