Gold Paint

Baking By bakencake Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm by bakencake

bakencake Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 7

a friend of mine wants me to make a red cake with a gold Chinese character. I have seen many people use gold dust or glitter (this is my question) to paint gold on white fondant. It looks just like gold paint. I have the wilton gold pearl dust, mixed it with vodka but it's a little translucent when applied. I made it really thick and almost paste like but that didnt help, just made it crusty looking. can somebody please tell my if this is gold pearl dust, glitter, or what? also what's a good brand?

6 replies
bakencake Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 7

Thank you!! I read that gold leaf is edible. has anybody tried it? can it be like the one from michaels or hob lob or does it have to be from a bakery supply?

chilz822 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #3 of 7

I use metallic edible glaze all the time..
f o n d a n t s o u r c e.com/goedfogl.html

bakencake Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 7

thank you!!!

bakencake Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 7

Just wanted to give you an update. I went in the site you gave me chilz822, than you!!!, but I didnt order it because I needed the paint the next day so i went to my local (45 mnts away) cake supply store and they recommended a gold highlighter. I worked! everything was goldenlicious. Thank you for your time.

cakesbybeccam Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 7

I believe gold highlighter is not FDA food safe. Only apply it on things that will not be eaten.

bakencake Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 7

That's what the lady said, so i put it on a cross that was removable. Im going to buy some gold metallic glaze. The cake lady never mentioned this so I assume they dont sell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%