Help Marbling Rbc For Fall Leaf Cookies....

Baking By Jopalis Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 3:43pm by Newatdecorating

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 6:26am
post #1 of 12

I really like the marshmallow rolled buttercream recipe for cookies. I would like to make some marbled for some Fall leaf cookies but it seems when I put the colored doughs together and roll them out I lose a lot of the definition of the colors and end up with yucky colors... Any recommendations how to put it together and roll it flat for cookies and get a nice marbling of the colors? icon_confused.gif

11 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:30am
post #2 of 12

You are probably working the colors too much before you roll it. When you think you have the perfect mix, then roll, it tends to be "muddy". So what you want to do is not mix the colors together too much to start with.

I usually take the each color and roll it into a snake, then twist the snakes together, fold over and roll into a snake again and twist and roll over again. That is just about enough mixing. Roll it out flat, if you don't like the top side, flip it over, you might like the bottom pattern better. Once you do it a couple of times, you will get a feel for it.

I never roll a mix out flat more than twice, after that it heads to the scrap pile to make something darker like black or brown. HTH

Jopalis Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 12

I wonder why I am not getting e-mail notices of replies to my postings? I didn't change my settings or anything.

I think the snake things is what I do but I must work it too much. I never thought of saving the muddled ones to make black! Fabulous. Plus I have Halloween coming to use the black! I will try.... Thank you so much! thumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 12

excellent advice, linedancer!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 12

You are welcome, Jopalis. You know I am always full of excellent advice, lov2bake6 icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 12

You sure are!! icon_biggrin.gif

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:44am
post #7 of 12

What colors are you using?

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

I usually take the each color and roll it into a snake, then twist the snakes together, fold over and roll into a snake again and twist and roll over again. That is just about enough mixing. Roll it out flat, if you don't like the top side, flip it over, you might like the bottom pattern better. Once you do it a couple of times, you will get a feel for it.

I never roll a mix out flat more than twice, after that it heads to the scrap pile to make something darker like black or brown. HTH

Oooo, great idea! I experimented with marbling, buy my "blob method" just wasn't working. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'll try this.

Jopalis Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 12

Fall colors... burgundy, gold, green....

Newatdecorating Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 12

You might also try experimenting with other colors. I used yellow, green, red & orange.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1264137

Jopalis Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 12

Ooooooh your leaves came out really nice! Thanks for suggestion. Maybe I shouldn't be so precise in making the colors to blend.

Newatdecorating Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you. It is true what was said previously. You are limited as to how many times you can roll it out. And I also use the leftovers for darker colors for later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%