Help-Fresh Rose Bouquet Cake Topper

Decorating By missvaformer Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm by missvaformer

missvaformer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missvaformer Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 3

I am trying to do a trial run for the wedding cake topper I am doing for this week. Bride wants a fresh rose bouquet topper. I just tried it for practice. I bunched up 5 or 6 roses, wrapped the approx 3 inch stems in floral tape. Tried to insert the stems into the cake and they got about half way in and stopped!
How do I make them go all the way into the cake, without pushing on it so much that I destroy the icing, and crush the roses?

I would cut the stems shorter, But I'm always afraid of roses wilting too fast, does that make a difference in how fast they wilt?

I have tried also using the Wilton stem holders that you put water in and insert into a cake, but inserting 5 or 6 of those in a 6 inch cake totally destroy the cake! they are too bulky and chunky.

I really need suggestions, please!

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 3

First off, the florist should make this for you. Ideally, the florist can cut off the stems and wire the heads, then floral tape the wires. But really, the cake person does not make the floral topper, unless you're making it for yourself.

missvaformer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missvaformer Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks. do they usually cut off the entire stem? and then just stick a wire into the thicker "green part" under the petals?

The reason Im worried is because I know roses dont last long out of water. is this going to be a problem if I just insert them into a cake w/ no water stem holder, like the wilton one?

I'm looking at my "practice" one and the roses an hour later are already starting to turn a little in color, and I know wedding cakes can sit out for hours before they are eaten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%