Red Fondant

Decorating By bluejeannes Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 12:27am by kimmy37

bluejeannes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejeannes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 12

Any tips for tinting fondant red? I don't want to end up using a whole bottle of colour and have that yucky taste. Thanks

11 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #2 of 12

Seriously, after messing with red color over the years, I just buy the already colored primary colored fondant. Less mess and less change to the flavor.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:00am
post #3 of 12

When it comes to red (and black) fondant, just buy it.

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:09am
post #4 of 12

so leah, the Americolor super red is no good for taste? Ahh this sucks because I have a red and black hobby/birthday cake to make in November, and $40 on fondant alone doesn't sound very appealing. Is that about how much I would pay for a decent tasting fondant? ( i have heard rave reviews about Satin Ice but I know its pricey)

I wanted it to be a 3 tier betty boop cake.

I heard Koolaid works well.. but I assume that would taste pretty gross if i decide to do a chocolate cake

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:50am
post #5 of 12

I make my mmf. For red I start with the strawberry(pink) marshmellows, and then add red. For the black I add black cocoa powder in when I add sugar and then very little black is needed to achieve black. I hope this helps.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 6:42am
post #6 of 12

I tint my own red and black all the time and it works well.

For red I first add orange food coloring and knead it well into the fondant. Then add the super red.

For black I start with royal blue and after kneading it in and add the coal black color.

With both colors, you can see right away the red and black but its still best to let it sit a while before using to let the color enhance.

I use magicchef brand of food coloring. Have never liked americolor brand. Thats just me.

HTH

bluejeannes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 12

this all helps a lot
I don't think I'd want to buy the fondant because it's very pricey...can't justify spending that much when I can just make it (although I got a bucket of Satin Ice on sale at the bulk barn the other day for $16.00, was happy about that!)
Thanks everyone!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 12

bluejeannes, get to this blog. Angelfood4 who is a member here gets her marshmallow fondant really really red. Look at it. I think she uses strawberry jello to start with.

Look at her photo:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1537867

She put instructions in her blog, maybe you can even PM her.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I make my mmf. For red I start with the strawberry(pink) marshmellows, and then add red. For the black I add black cocoa powder in when I add sugar and then very little black is needed to achieve black. I hope this helps.

I didn't have good luck at all using the strawberry marshmallows or the chocolate ones. Bad consistancy, crumbly fondant. Did you tweak the recipe at all when using the strawberry ones?

bluejeannes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 7:32pm
post #10 of 12

imagenthatnj - What an awesome website! I love how she totally explains it all...thanks so much for posting that!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 12

No...I just start with the strawberry ones and add the red when mixing the mmf...also I use many different reds(forgot that)....I have been thinking about trying koolade red after mixing with hot water so its not gritty...I will let ya know how that works icon_smile.gif
The black cocoa is amazing....it works so great....smells like licorice to me then haha

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 12:27am
post #12 of 12

I add the color after melting the marshmallows, but before adding the powdered sugar...... it's sooooo much easier than kneading all that color in... and seems to take less color. Works great for black too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%