Fresh Flowers Help

Decorating By Jenala87 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 2:42am by Jenala87

Jenala87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenala87 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 3

I have only ever done cakes with gumpaste flowers, never fresh ones. Does everyone use those posy picks or flower spikes when putting fresh flowers on cakes? If I use straws that I plug up one end with royal icing to keep any stuff from seeping out of the stems into the cake, will this make the flowers wilt to quickly since they aren't in water? It just seems odd to fill those posy picks with water to put in a cake, is that really what you're supposed to do?

2 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:39am
post #2 of 3

you can use straws, coffee stirrs, fill with icing stuff flower in or if needing to make a bundle of flowers use a larger diameter straw. I have used floral tape to wrap them together, just make sure that it goes in a staw and doesnt touch the cake, due to it containing latex (allergy reasons).

Flowers have different water deprivation lifespans. For example: cut a rose with its stem underwater and hold for the count of say 12. Take out wrap it, stuff in straw and it is good for 2 days. Other flowers have lifespan of 4 hrs out of water.

I do not recommend using water filled posey sticks. imagine if they leaked!! icon_surprised.gif

Jenala87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenala87 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:42am
post #3 of 3

That's what I thought about those posy picks, when I read a description and it said to fill them with water, I was like what? water in a cake? It sounded odd.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%