Spiral Design Gumpaste/ Fondant Rose Cake Question??????

Decorating By samiam22 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 2:18am by samiam22

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on making an anniversary cake with a spiral of roses. It is for a 30th anniversary. I planned on making 30 gumpaste/fondant roses on toothpicks and then inserting them into the finished fondant cake. All of a sudden I had a panic moment and wondered if the weight of the roses would pull out from the cake?? Could anyone with any experience assist me on this?? I love the look of these cakes but have yet to rise to the challenge. TIA
Samiam

4 replies
samiam22 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:34am
post #2 of 5

Anybody with any experience or thoughts???

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 5

I think the toothpicks would support them.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:59am
post #4 of 5

If you're scared, you can use royal icing or melted chocolate along with the toothpicks to anchor them, that's what I would do....better safe than sorry! That is, as long as you are using fondant....

samiam22 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for both your responses. Because I didn't get a response yesterday..I went ahead and made them today as I had to get them dried. I ended up using the small styrofoam centers and them wired them all onto long plastic covered wire, as I was afraid of the toothpicks only. They look very sturdy and I hope that they will work. I guess what I was actually referring to was called a cascade of roses. Thanks again for your help. WOW ,it takes a long time to make 30 roses even with the 5 petal cutter..whew!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%