Hi-Ratio Shortning?

Baking By FarrahFace Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 3:09pm by FarrahFace

FarrahFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FarrahFace Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 9

I would love to try sugarshacks icing but, that hi-ratio shortning is so expensive. I would also have to pay for shipping. Does anyone use her recipe with any other brand? Does it work with crisco? Thanks.

8 replies
cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:19am
post #2 of 9

I only use Sharon's buttercream recipe. I know hi-ratio shortening is expensive but let me tell you it is well worth it. It doesn't leave that greasy after taste. Many of my customers have commented on this. It also crusts nicely. I order the 50 lb. box and get 20 recipes of buttercream out of it. Just my opinion.
Wanda

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 9

There is no comparison. Once you make it with hi-ratio, you'll swear off any store brand again.

Try asking a small restaurant in your area if they'd order it for you. Some grocery stores might be able to as well--but know it will come in a 50 pound block.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 9

I'm a high ratio user to, I order mine from GFS Gordon Food Service for 71.00 for 50lbs and I pick it up.

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:01am
post #5 of 9

There are other places you can get a smaller quantity. I get a 4lb bucket from The Baker Kitchen, I usually try to buy a few other "tools/supplies" to get the most out of the min $7.75 shipping to my area.

FarrahFace Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 9

Well, I done it! I just ordered a 50lb box of sweetex. I can't wait to try it. Now, One more question. I have a 6qt kitchenaid mixer. Does anyone have the exact amounts for this mixer? it has the lift bowl(don't know if that makes a difference or not). Thanks for all your help.

cocobaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobaby Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 9

Someone asked that question in another threadand I copied it down. This is what Sharon (sugarshack) said Wendy (her assistant) uses.

3 lbs sweetex (use a kitchen scale)
6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuring cup, 4 cups=1 lb)
9 tbsp wedding bouquet
11 tbsp hot coffee mate liquid

Cream sweetex and liquids on first speed very well. add half amount of powdered sugar, let mix 30 seconds, then add rest of powdered sugar. scrape sides of bowl very well turn speed up one notch, mix for 9 minutes. scrape sides of bowl around top, mix for 1 minute longer. (Do not turn off mixer during this scraping!) now, turn off mixer, remove paddle and cover with plastic wrap. let sit for 1 hour or longer.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 9

9 Tablespoons Wedding Bouquet? WOW! icon_eek.gif

FarrahFace Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 9

cocobaby, Thanks so much. I am so excited. can't wait to try this. Just waiting on my sweetex. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%