Cherry Flavored Buttercream?

Baking By VaBelle Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm by VaBelle

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:35am
post #1 of 8

I'm not a fan of the LorAnn cherry flavor oil. The local store is trying to get some Superior Flavoring in the timeframe that I need it, but I'm trying to think of other options just in case. I haven't seen the McCormick Cherry Extract in the grocery stores. Do you think adding a litttle cherry juice from Maraschino Cherries would work? Anyone have any other ideas?[/code]

7 replies
PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:48am
post #2 of 8

Cherry jello?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:54am
post #3 of 8

I have added maraschino cherry juice to buttercream. I have also added strained raspberry and strawberry jams to buttercream, so I don't see why cherry jam/jelly/preserves wouldn't work.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:01am
post #4 of 8

I"ve used McCormick's Cherry Extract... but haven't looked for it lately. I just looked on Amazon.com and they have a lot of cherry extracts, maybe try there!

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:17am
post #5 of 8

You can make a cherry purée. It's more effort than extract and your buttercream will be pink, but it's worth it.
Take a 10 ounce bag of frozen cherries and 4 ounces (1/2 cup) sugar.
Thaw the cherries in the bag, but don't strain the juice. Purée the cherries in a food processor for about a minute until they're smooth.
Put the purée in in a 2 qt. Heavy bottom saucepan and add the sugar. Slowly bring to a simmer over low to medium heat and cook 20-25 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by at least half, but Don't boil.
Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
I usually start with 1/4 cup to a recipe of SMBC. And taste along the way. This is always a crowd pleaser for me. Hope this helps !

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:44am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by afunk

You can make a cherry purée. It's more effort than extract and your buttercream will be pink, but it's worth it.
Take a 10 ounce bag of frozen cherries and 4 ounces (1/2 cup) sugar.
Thaw the cherries in the bag, but don't strain the juice. Purée the cherries in a food processor for about a minute until they're smooth.
Put the purée in in a 2 qt. Heavy bottom saucepan and add the sugar. Slowly bring to a simmer over low to medium heat and cook 20-25 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by at least half, but Don't boil.
Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
I usually start with 1/4 cup to a recipe of SMBC. And taste along the way. This is always a crowd pleaser for me. Hope this helps !

Now that sounds delicious!

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:13am
post #7 of 8

I forgot to mention that the recipe is from "CakeLove" by Warren Brown. It's a great book full of scratch recipes.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! Such great ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%