Gingerbread Houses - Can I Bring This Up Again?

Business By Kaylani Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:44pm by LuluSweetArt

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:14am
post #1 of 12

Hi All,

Does anyone sell decorated gingerbread houses for the holidays?

If you do, how do you sell them? Pre-order only? Pick up item?

Also, would you be willing to share your pricing?

I searched and found very few threads from a long while back, so I would love to hear a 2009/2010 report icon_smile.gif

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 12

I would also love to hear more current information regarding the lost art of Gingerbread Houses. I've seen more Fake ones than Baked ones. By Fake I mean Polymer Clay.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 12

I personally love the idea of faked ones, id love to create something, that i could keep and bring out year after year! ! Having said, i love the fun of making the houses with my family around xmas time icon_smile.gif I want to know what people think too icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 12

I closed my bakery shop Dec. 31, '09, but I did make and sell gingerbread house kits for years. I made all the pieces of the house, a base, snowman, a door, tree, and gingerbread man, icing mix, icing tip and 2 plastic bags, and a selection of sprinkles and candies. I sold them both by order and by retail pickup for $29.00 a kit. (the approx. size was 10" X 8"). I wrapped the entire kit in a large gift bag and tied with holiday ribbon.

I also sponsored a contest with community children with a prize of a cookie baking party for the older kids and baking kit for the little children. I set a deadline for those houses to be submitted and used them as holiday decor in our retail section. (They had to purchase the same kit from me icon_wink.gif AND I used them to decorate!!) And...even better, the local newspaper came to take pics - so FREE advertising!

Hope this helps - as you can tell, I think it's a great idea!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 12

that contest is a FANTASITC idea!

I have been trying to figure out how to market my kit above the ever so cheap grocery store kits, and this is perfect!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 12

This girl has been in business for years! I ordered a house from her once and I enjoyed it. As I recall she's not great at communication and it got frustrating for me not knowing the status of the order, but once I got it I was very happy with it.

http://www.enchantedgingerbread.com/home.htm

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you all for the great information!
It is really interesting to hear the kits were popular. I was worried about the price point since Wilton makes those cheapie ones. That is a great idea!

I love the contest idea!!

I hope we hear lots & lots more! icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 12

We were looking at doing this, but comparing the time it took to make one-off gingerbread houses against how much we could charge, it wasn't realistic to offer it commercially. If you could mass produce them like Enchanted Gingerbread that's a different story, but that would be a big commitment.

Here is a picture of a vegan gingerbread house we made for a friend (I believe it was made using instructions from a Martha Stewart magazine, it's completely edible except for the trees):
http://www.allergyfriendlypastries.com/photos/vegan-gingerbread-house225.jpg

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 12

can i use corn syrup instead of molassas? I HATE the smell lol

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 12

Yes you can substitute dark corn syrup for the molasses in gingerbread - altho it won't taste quite the same as the traditional. I've also split the difference - half molasses and half corn syrup (either light or dark).

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Here is a picture of a vegan gingerbread house we made for a friend (I believe it was made using instructions from a Martha Stewart magazine, it's completely edible except for the trees):
http://www.allergyfriendlypastries.com/photos/vegan-gingerbread-house225.jpg

jasonkraft, I love this gingerbread cottage. I enjoy baking vegan and gluten-free holiday items for my friends with special dietary needs, but I never thought to make gingerbread houses for them!! Great idea.........I'm going to do that this year! icon_biggrin.gif But could you tell me how you make vegan royal icing????? This has me stumped. tia

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12

You can also substitute honey for molasses. It makes the gingerbread a little sweeter but it bakes into a beautiful light golden brown color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%