Cake Stands

Decorating By Julie5 Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 12:25am by carmijok

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 5

I got (yet another) question. Do any of you guys use actual cake stands for stacked cakes? I'm talking about an actual cake stand, like a porcelain one with a flat plate and a leg stand under it. I'm sort of obsessed with cake stands in general and have a million and I know they make them wide enough for many cakes but wasn't sure about the tipping over and or weight factor. For instance, could I do a 4 tier stacked cake (12, 10, 8 , 6) and put it on a 14 inch cake stand?

Julie

4 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know that I would risk a 4-tier on a pedestal cake stand both because of the weight and the fear of tipping. Porcelain is strong, but a big cake like that is really heavy.

I might be OK with a smaller 2-tier. I have a glass cake stand w/a silverplate column base but I don't use it much since the plate has a lip on it. It's best for a single cake.

HTH
Kristy

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

I don't know that I would risk a 4-tier on a pedestal cake stand both because of the weight and the fear of tipping. Porcelain is strong, but a big cake like that is really heavy.

I might be OK with a smaller 2-tier. I have a glass cake stand w/a silverplate column base but I don't use it much since the plate has a lip on it. It's best for a single cake.

HTH
Kristy

Yeah, that's kind of what I am afraid of. I did find a stand that is really short with a really wide base. Might think about that one. I just really like the look of them better than the traditional way of presenting.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

I love cake stands, too to the point of obsession. I have a few, and before I look at cake, I look at the stand (and see if I want it badly, lol). I came running to read your post!

But, yes, I think it's too risky for that big a cake. I often go to Maisie Fantaisie website to look at the cakes so pretty on their stands and I see that she has one in there that's 6, 8, 10 and 12.

http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/wedding-cakes.html
http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/polka-dot-wedding-cake.html

Looks so pretty!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:25am
post #5 of 5

I used a white cake pedestal for a 3 tier bridal shower cake ((10, 8, 6) and because I use real butter in my buttercream it weighed a ton...but I had no problem with it at all. At the bakery I worked for we used cake stands for many tiered cakes. It just depends on how big I suppose. But if you have a large enough diameter cake pedestal, I doubt if you'd have a problem. I would use heavy glass.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%