Cancer Fundraiser

Lounge By Vanaya Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 4:38am by Vanaya

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:58am
post #1 of 9

Hey Everyone,

I was thinking of making Cake Pops, Cookie Pops and Chocolates to sell for Halloween, but I decided to donate a portion of the proceeds to Cancer Research.

A few weeks ago my family had a pig roast and we raised $850 for Cancer. My aunt is sick and we did this for her. I thought this would be a great way to add to that.

I need some ideas on how to manage/run this thing. My cousin and one of my aunts are coming over on Sunday to start making goodies. I was thinking of making samples of everything and taking pictures. We were thinking of creating a group on Facebook to promote this. I live in a fairly small town and I would have no problems visiting certain businesses or even setting up in front of the grocery store one day.

I also thought of offering decorated cakes and cupcakes, but by order only so I dont have any waste. Does that make sense?

Do you guys think this could work to raise a few $$$ ?

Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

8 replies
itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 6:05am
post #2 of 9

What a great idea & so thoughtful of you.

Is there any sort of fall festival in your town (or a neighboring town) that you could also sell at? A flea market might be another avenue to look at too.

Vanaya Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:14am
post #3 of 9

Thanks itsmylife!!!

I was really hoping for more input here... anyone else???

Vanaya Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:54am
post #4 of 9

Seriously? No one else can help me with this?

Please icon_smile.gif

lil_suz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lil_suz Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:51am
post #5 of 9

Cant you get a like local shops around you to sell them and buy them off you... that way you have a wider audience I reckon...

Maybe ask a local printing shop if they could do some flyers or so for promotion that you can leave at shops for people to order...??

Im not sure about the rules on that in Canada, cos they are different in Holland.
Hope this helps

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:37am
post #6 of 9

I think it's a great idea... BUT--I think along with special orders, it would be profitable to have some items ready for people who didn't know about ordering ahead of time. --you know, impulse buying on those days you set up by the grocery store.

I've sold at farmer's markets and one tip I'll give you is be sure your packaging is professional. Paper plates wrapped in plastic wrap will really down-grade your item, but pop those cupcakes in a cupcake clamshell box (for example) and you can charge much more for the same thing. I use a lot of cellophane bags and ribbons--both gotten very reasonably from my local florist.

Good luck, and the facebook page is a great idea.

Vanaya Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:33am
post #7 of 9

kansaslaura - For sure, I will have ready made items, stuff that keeps well made ahead of time for those impulse buyers and I will have some for the day I set up in front of the grocery store.

I agree, packaging is really important. I have lots of cellophane bags (clear and halloween ones) and ribbon and bakery boxes for the cupcakes.
Im with you, paper plates and plastic wrap really makes everything look cheap lol

lil_suz - Great Idea! I happen to know the owners of the local printing shop. Im sure they would be able to help me.

I made some chocolate pops today, but with all the details it took forever!

I also started making cake balls following Bakerella's recipe (1 box mix cake and 1 cup of icing) but when i tried to dip them the balls stayed in the chocolate and the stick in my hand. I made sure not to stir them around cause I know that loosens the stick. I dont know what went wrong... Any idea?

I was also thinking of making "gourmet" (decorated a bit) candy and caramel apples.

I need things that dont take too long or cost too much to make. I want to be able to raise money, not just cover the cost of my ingredients. Any ideas?

Thank you!!!

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 9

Get in touch with the fundraising Foundation of the nearest hospital that has a cancer center. My hospital has done several bake sales to raise money for our local cancer program - the employees eat it up, literally icon_lol.gif I donated 4 cakes to the last one and they sold in a flash from what I'm told.

Consider giving your proceeds to that hospital rather than the American Cancer Society. As a cancer doctor, I know that the ACS spends a lot of money on advertising and fundraising, and no longer contributes any money, time or expertise to our local community-they spent several million dollars this year on Congressional lobbying. However, any money given to my hospital foundation for cancer services goes 100% to improving local cancer care here - big things like equipment and technology purchases and little things like transportation assistance for those who have no other way to get to treatment.

Vanaya Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:38am
post #9 of 9

Thanks tigerhawk83! Thats a great idea icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%