Marzipan Leaves? Asap

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 10:37pm by Mexx

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

I have some changes to a wedding cake... they were going to do marzipan fruits but now want a cascade of leaves.

I have never worked with marzipan but due to their background they love to eat it and would like the leaves out of marzipan...but as I've never used it I need to find out if it can be rolled out thinly and made into leaves similar to gumpaste? And dried, and sturdy enough to attach to the cake in a cascade? I need to let her know soon because I was going to do them in gumpaste but she prefers marzipan.

Thanks!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 5

It's pretty soft stuff and I've never tried to just left it dry. I'm thinking it would work. You might have to mix a wee bit of fondant with it. But it's super yummy!

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 5

It's pretty much the same as working with fondant, just some "grainy" texture and wonderful taste! If you're planing to do your own, just make sure you use pasteurized egg whites.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 5

I talked to someone more experienced than myself and she said it might be too brittle to be dried for thin leaves, and might not taste as nice with all the color and airbrushing I have to do with it.

The bride agreed to do gumpaste.

Thanks!!!!

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 5

You could also make your leaves out of chocolate. Gather some nice "real" leaves, wash them and paint them with melted chocolate. Once they've firmed up, gently peel off the read leaf and you're left with a chocolate leaf that can be airbrushed or painted. Use white chocolate and the "fall" colours will pop. Make sure you paint the chocolate on the reverse side of the leaf...you get better veining.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%