Selling Your Recipes???

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 5:18pm by moralna

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 15

Hope this is the "right" forum.

OK, I had a bakery years ago that I worked really hard on getting my recipes the way I wanted them. Trial and error, research, baking, taste testing, blind testing, "free" cakes. Probably similar to what everyone else has done to get their recipes perfected. A business acquaintance has a bakery she wold like to open up in a different area of the country. She enjoyed my cakes, cookies, pies, etc. She would like to "have" them for her shop. I don't mean to seem greedy, but do you just let your secret recipes go? Sell them? Keep them as private? I know will not write a cookbook. DH thinks I should be compensated for all the work I went to for perfecting the recipes.

14 replies
jlynnw Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 15

any advice?

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 15

hmmmmm....well, it's a nice compliment that she likes your recipes, BUT, she wants you to give her your recipes??!! I wouldn't do that if it were me. She may not even be interested in purchasing the recipes. If you aren't going to continue to use them, write a cookbook, or pass them on to your children, AND you will trust her to execute them correctly and it would make you proud to have your recipes used, then maybe you should talk with her.

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 15

I wouldn't do that unless you are planning not to do cake anymore. But that's just my two cents.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 15

You know what's in her mind? Before troubling yourself with a lot of thinking make clear what is that she really wants from you... as for "just give away" your secrets, hum... I don't think so

jlynnw Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 15

She basically said that she would not mind purchasing some of my recipes. She knows the hard work that went into them, and so on and so forth. She is looking at it like investing in a quality recipe book. I do plan on someday opening a place back up, just not sure where or when. Would it hurt to have 2 bakeries in the US with using the same recipe? I had really never thought of selling until DH told her she was talking advantage of my testing without all the calories. It was only then she offered to pay. He feels they are worth thousands. I feel they are valuable to me as I did work hard on them. Cake is easier to sell - you know the material cost to work from.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 15

Whoa - you said she is thinking of it as buying a quality recipe book (average cost - maybe $60.. BUT you DH believes it is worth thousands? That's quite a discrepancy. That's the problem with value - it is difficult to put a price on the work we put into our recipe/products. Something tells me she wasn't thinking thousands when she offered to buy.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #8 of 15

Shouldn't she already have her own recipes?
I wouldn't do it, whether it was for money or for free; especially since you may need them professionally again some day.

jlynnw Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:16am
post #9 of 15

That is exactly my problem. She said whatever I think is fair. Going to sleep on it. Thanks everyone!

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #10 of 15

She shpuld go throught he same steps you went through with your recipes. If worst comes to worst she does have the internet.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:54am
post #11 of 15

A quality cookbook might cost 60 $ to buy, but the author could make much more of that in sales. If you should decide to print your recipes one day, make sure, she doesn't find a way to put a hold on that, by arguing, that you are printing the "secret" recipes that she is now using (just playing devil's advocate here), or wanting to be reimbursed, for having "her secrets" revealed

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:04am
post #12 of 15

Don't do it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:22am
post #13 of 15

Don't do it. Just the time and overhead involved in creating those recipes is worth a lot more than she can pay.

If she wants to open a bakery, she should already have her own recipes.
And if she wanted your recipes that badly, she should have bought your bakery years ago.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:26am
post #14 of 15

Ask yourself - are they still "*valuable to me* in any shape or form?
IMO i think they are, thats why you are asking for guideance.

Ten people can give 10 of their best recipes and i might not do any of them justice - so really, who is to say that she will do your tried and tested recipes any justice.

Another thought -
If she does buy them then they are *hers* - there is no turning back - there is no saying *ohhh XYZ Bakery uses my recipes* because in actual fact they aren't yours anymore....and who is to say down the track that she doesn't say that about you, if you decide to open another bakery???
Food for thought petal -
Be careful...you don't want her or those recipes coming bad and biting you on the bum - IYKWIM.

She is looking at it like investing in a quality recipe book.
LOLLLL - i bet she is icon_rolleyes.gif ............. what, for $60.00 - shezzzz, i can get a crummy magazine subscription for that over 12 Months - but a good quality cookbook i would be paying alot more for....alot more

I do plan on someday opening a place back up, just not sure where or when. Would it hurt to have 2 bakeries in the US with using the same recipe?
Ummmm, yes, if they are both using YOUR recipes.
Thousands of Bakeries have the same recipes because they use pre made mixers (not that i am saying there is anything wrong with that - so we won't start on about box vs scratch.......please lets not)
Not tweeked/tested/tried/tweeked again/ over a long period of time by one little person in her Bakery.

Tuck them away in a safe place - making sure they are protected from light/moths/silverfish even if they are on a disc - protect them - so as you have them to use again when YOU are ready.

DH told her she was talking advantage of my testing without all the calories
Love that line - however she will only be taking advantage of you - if you give them to her or hand them over for 60.00

Me, i say - tuck them away for that day in the future - for YOU.
Because this is different from me giving my close friend my fruit cake recipe - that i use - because i never tweeked it - its just one i love to use.

Huge differance.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 15

I agree with everyone else. Do not sell your recipes. They are almost like your babies. You put time and sweat into perfecting them and if your previous bakery was a success, it was because of those recipes and the time and caring you put into them. Also, let's create a scenario: you sell her your recipes and she does write a cookbook with "her" recipes, because she bought them from you and the book is a success. . . .how would you feel? In the end, it's your decision, but think about it really carefully!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%