Rant - This Might Be Long.

Decorating By TiffySue Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 2:40am by Adevag

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 11

I got my first wedding cake order over the summer for a wedding that is supposed to be tomorrow! I've been planning this cake for a few months now and have been stressing myself out since it's my first one and all...

When the order was placed, I took a deposit, and the balance was supposed to be paid last weekend, the weekend before the wedding.

So here is a chain of events that took place over the last couple days:
Monday, I pull into the meet spot to meet the groom and collect the balance. Thank God for blackberrys, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten his email telling me that he was tied up in meetings and couldn't meet until later. So we decide to meet later, but this time I get the email before I left the house.. :
"I need to be honest. There have been some major changes, and i don't believe we will be moving forward with the wedding on September 16th. I truthfully, didnt have meetings, and have been trying to work things out between us. I am so sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused. It has been an incredibly difficult time for the two of us. I hope you understand."

At this point, I'm sad for the couple, haven't spent any of my own money, and move on. Although somewhat upset that I don't get to do this awesome cake.

Tuesday. I get an email from the bride.. "we're still getting married!" is it too late? Of course not, I'm excited now that I get to do this cake, she said she'll pay me the balance when she gets off work. I confirmed like 4 times that she still wanted the cake. I proceed to bake and fill the cake.. took me all day. Cake is to feed 100+. It's red velvet too, the only scratch cake I make.

Wednesday.
Groom: did you get my cancellation email? OMG!!! I have now been emailing with both bride and groom, he says he is still going to pay for the cake - thank God! I'll never do this again without balance in full before I start anything! Even worse, since it was my first wedding cake I didn't know what to charge, and I ended up WAY undercharging. I've already spent $100 in my own money on supplies, not to mention the all day baking yesterday, and the time spent on making the gumpaste flowers.

This is still going on, so I'm not sure when and if I'll get paid, but I'm sure hoping!

icon_evil.gif

10 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 11

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Money in hand before cake in the pan. I hope you can recoup. If not, is there a church or school you could donate the cake to and chalk it up to awesome practice? Best of luck thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 11

NO CASH MONEY NO CAKE!!!
Do NOT let that cake out of your vehicle, until you have the balance IN CASH!

You are not a charity, you are the breadwinner for your family.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 11

Sounds to me like the bride and groom don't have a clue what their doing let alone what all their vendors are doing! I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I like the church idea if things don't work out for you!

Best of luck!

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 11

So wait. . .is the wedding on or not? I got confused there. . .

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 11

This is why I collect a 50% deposit first and then the balance 4 weeks ahead of the date. If it were a situation like this I would make it clear to both that no cake will be made if the final payment has not been made by cut off time. PERIOD. No refunds, no ifs ands or buts!

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 11

Oh boy...good luck! Don't forget to let us know what happens...if they get hitched or not...

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 11

Is the wedding canceled?? Poor bride lol Sounds like he is backing out and she will has hope icon_sad.gif

And how horrible about your cake. I love to decorate, but baking for me is the worst part! There is so much time spent for each layer when you have a small oven like me, and I would be so sad if it was canceled with such short notice. Bummer. Hope it works out for you

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 11

Ok so here is how this ended. icon_cry.gif

Groom meets me at a designated meet spot to give me payment in full. He has told me he does not want to see the cake as it will make him very sad. So we pull up, he hands me the money with tears in his eyes, I say thank you and I'm very sorry for what has happened, he nods, I see he cannot speak. MY softer side has taken over and I have to walk away before I start to cry (something about a man crying gets me everytime!) We go our separate ways and I have the money.

My guts just hurt because I feel so bad for the two of them at this point.. if I didn't need the money it would be different, but I had already spent money my family needs so I'm trying not to feel bad for taking it.

So the wedding is OFF and I have the cake.

The good news, the other cake I was supposed to bake for this weekend asked that I just use the red velvet (they saw my update on FB) icon_smile.gif It's also for an event at a church - so no cake gets wasted or anything and I feel like all the time I spent baking isn't for nothing.

How sad though!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagunts

Ok so here is how this ended. icon_cry.gif

Groom meets me at a designated meet spot to give me payment in full. He has told me he does not want to see the cake as it will make him very sad. So we pull up, he hands me the money with tears in his eyes, I say thank you and I'm very sorry for what has happened, he nods, I see he cannot speak. MY softer side has taken over and I have to walk away before I start to cry (something about a man crying gets me everytime!) We go our separate ways and I have the money.

My guts just hurt because I feel so bad for the two of them at this point.. if I didn't need the money it would be different, but I had already spent money my family needs so I'm trying not to feel bad for taking it.

So the wedding is OFF and I have the cake.

The good news, the other cake I was supposed to bake for this weekend asked that I just use the red velvet (they saw my update on FB) icon_smile.gif It's also for an event at a church - so no cake gets wasted or anything and I feel like all the time I spent baking isn't for nothing.

How sad though!

How sad! I'm glad you weren't left out of pocket in the end though...and that the cakes won't go to waste.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:40am
post #11 of 11

It's a very sad situation, but it has nothing to do with you. So even if the wedding is off, you earned the money anyway.
If I were you, I would change the contract to have the final payment made much earlier than just one week before the wedding. Congratulations on your first orders!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%