Baking In Pyrex Bowled Failed, Turning Into A 911 Situation!

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 5:20am by JCE62108

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #1 of 44

I'm hoping someone can PLEASE tell me what I did wrong, and the proper way to bake in pyrex bowls so I dont continue to have issues like this.

I just wasted a lot of time and ingrediants only to have my 4th failed attempt at baking in pyrex bowls. I tried to asking questions again this time and do a little more research. I didnt come up with many answers that I hadn't already heard or tried, but I keep reading about people having success baking this way so I figured I'd give it another go.

Im just so livid right now, so please excuse me if my writing comes across that way. I just dont have the money or time to buy all these ingrediants and start over, but now I have no choice. This has to be baked by tomorrow morning and its already too late for that. I'm going to have to run to the store first thing in the morning to start over.

Anyway, here is what happened. In another thread, the only advice I really got was to use a rose nail and to turn the tempurature down and first, then turn it up later. So, whatever. I did it.

I started with a large pyrex bowl. I dont know how large it is, but I know that I normally make a double batch of MMF in it so its large enough to melt (3) 10oz bags of mm's. So I sprayed and floured it. Filled it about halfway with batter. Set my temp at 300 and let it bake for about 45 minutes or so. Checked on it, its still nearly 100% liquid, so I turned it up to 325 at that point. Waited about 20 or 30 minutes, checked on it again, and the top is starting to get pretty dark, but the inside is liquid. I got a little nervous and turned it back down just a hair. Maybe 315 or so. I let it go for another 20 minutes or so, maybe longer. I got to check on it again and its sunken in about a good 3 inches, its so dark and crusty on the outside that its pulled away from the sides, and the inside is still totally liquid.

Now this is a mess I cannot save and I can't tell you how upset I am. For you people that have done this several times and dont have issues....PLEASE for the love of cake write an article or something, or tell me how you did this because I have tried this 4 times now and every attempt has been a disaster. Only once was I able to save a cake only because I froze it can scraped all the burnt outside off to leave a normally baked cake in the middle.

I guess for my belly cake I'm just going to bake a few 8" layers, maybe 2 8" and a 9" and carve from there? Does that sound like it would work? I was worried about it being symetrical so I didnt really want to do it that way, but honestly I just need a cake at this point. So I guess I gotta do it this way since I cant figure out for the life of me how people do this successfully.

Thanks for any help you can offer in advance. I'm sure any advice I get would at least calm me down a little. Maybe I can figure out what went wrong.

43 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:55am
post #2 of 44

The 1 time I did it, I baked it at approx 250-275 and it took over 90 minutes. You have to bake low and slow, don't open the over to check on it for atleast 50 min. That's the only advise I have, good luck.

Normita Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 44

I am really sorry to hear about this. I really do not know what to tell you. I have baked twice using the bowls and didnt have the problems you are having. I do use a flower nail and always start my cakes at a lower temp and then about 20 minutes I turn it up to 325. I know for a fact that they take longer to bake in bowls but I do not know why they sank in the middle so much. How many servings do you need...maybe you can bake in the half ball and place on a bigger sheet cake.

Sorry this happened

iamcakin Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #4 of 44

I can't imagine what is causing your cakes to fail...are you sure it's a Pyrex brand? That's all I can think of. icon_redface.gif

I bake in Pyrex bowls-cups all the time, and have never had a problem. I use an enhanced box recipe; do you bake from scratch?

I don't use a flower nail, start my oven temp at 310 for about 20-30 minutes then lower it to about 290, and it does seem to take FOREVER for the cakes to bake...are you opening the oven door too early/often? I know from your past posts that you are an experienced baker, hopefully you don't take offense at these questions, I'm just grasping at straws to figure why you are having this happen. icon_confused.gif

If I were you, at this point, I'd just bake 8" rounds and shave off the edges, you can use the pieces to build up the belly center...

Good luck tomorrow!

edited for stupid spelling errors

Suzisweet Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:38am
post #5 of 44

I am thinking that the oven was to hot. Bake the cake at a lower temp. Is this a tried and true recipe that has given no problems in other pans?
Suzi

Suzisweet Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 44

Maybe too much sugar in recipe???

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:42am
post #7 of 44

LOL I wouldnt call myself an experienced baker and I absolutly take no offense. Honestly, Im a decorator. Not a baker. I wish I didnt have to bake because cooking is not something Im a natural at.

Well, Maybe I did open the open too much. I was worried about it, so I checked on it about 3 times in about the 80 minutes it was in the oven. The first time I checked on it was probably at about 20 minutes because I had to take a batch of cupcakes out really quick. I didnt think that would have caused the problem. Could it have? It didnt sink until much later though.

I am using a wasc recipe. I usually do use wasc, and this time it was the orange creamsicle flavor. Part of why Im so upset, because that particular flavor is ingrediant intensive and so now I gotta go buy more sorbet, yogurt, flavoring, oj, etc. If it was choc or vanilla I could just whip up another box real quick. Oh well.

I only need 25 servings. Im letting this cake cool and see if it maybe is more baked in the middle than I thought. It seems pretty wet, but Im hoping maybe I just hit a spot and the rest of it is ok. Once it cools and I cut it open, we'll see. I baked some extra large cupcakes for the boobs. I think I got 5 extra large cupcakes, so maybe that can fill in the sunken area. Plus, I also baked half a ball that I was going to use the round up the top of the belly, since the bowls are flat on the bottom. I may just have enough cake to accomodate for the sunken area, the question now is the cake actually baked on the inside. Its so brown and crusty on the outside though. Im hoping once I freeze it I can easily shave some of that crust off with a cheese grater. icon_smile.gif

I am determined to get this to work. I swear Ill get it. Just like my 20 failed attempts with MMF, I havent had a single bad batch in a year now. And I WILL conquer this too! haha. Oh man and I'll be throwing a little party in my head when I do. Ill be happy-dancing in my kitchen.

You know, Maybe Ill try the temp even lower next time. Maybe Ill try it at 290 or so like your suggestion, and just not check on it for like 50 or 60 minutes. I wont put anything else in there either (like cupcakes) so I wont have to open the oven at all.

Thank you for your responses, guys. I've cooled off a little bit. lol. Now just waiting for my cake to do the same so I can check it out and see if I have to get to the store early tomorrow. icon_smile.gif Thank you again!

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:44am
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzisweet

I am thinking that the oven was to hot. Bake the cake at a lower temp. Is this a tried and true recipe that has given no problems in other pans?
Suzi




Yup. This is a great recipe. Ive made it 3 or 4 times now and havent had problems in other pans at all.

The normal temp to bake it at is 325...so yeah, I think you are right the oven is probably too hot. All 4 times I made this cake I had the same problems with the outsides burning and the insides being liquid. So next time Ill bake it at a much lower temp and for a longer time. HOpefully that will solve that problem.

Suzisweet Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:48am
post #9 of 44

Good luck to you, I am praying to the cake gods for you. I know how frustrating rebaking can be...been there done that icon_cry.gif
Suzi

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

I can't imagine what is causing your cakes to fail...are you sure it's a Pyrex brand? That's all I can think of. icon_redface.gif

I bake in Pyrex bowls-cups all the time, and have never had a problem. I use an enhanced box recipe; do you bake from scratch?

I don't use a flower nail, start my oven temp at 310 for about 20-30 minutes then lower it to about 290, and it does seem to take FOREVER for the cakes to bake...are you opening the oven door too early/often? I know from your past posts that you are an experienced baker, hopefully you don't take offense at these questions, I'm just grasping at straws to figure why you are having this happen. icon_confused.gif

If I were you, at this point, I'd just bake 8" rounds and shave off the edges, you can use the pieces to build up the belly center...

Good luck tomorrow!

edited for stupid spelling errors




OH! Sorry I forgot to answer one of your questions. I dont think this particular bowl is a Pyrex....I could be wrong. It might be Anchor brand tempered bowl that I got from walmart. Its one or the other because I have both types.

Now that I have this new information, Im so tempted to try this again. I get so dissapointed when I fail at something. If I have to go shopping tomorrow, Ill buy enough to do 4 batches, so if the first 2 fail, Ill have the other two to try again. icon_smile.gif Im already going to be way set back because if I did the 8" anyway Id have to freeze it in order to carve it easily into the shape I need. If I could get this bowl method to work, it would be better so I dont loose another whole day while I wait for the cake to freeze.

Im just going to have to adjust my schedule a bit and work extra hard to get my other two orders going, and get my gumpaste stuff made, my fondant and buttercream made, etc. I have such a full weekend I had such a tight schedule to get things done, but I'll find a way to manage with this little setback. Even if I have to stay up till midnight tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:06am
post #11 of 44

That sounds like a pretty big, deep bowl. The Pyrex bowl that I bake in only holds 1 batch of MMF; yours is twice as big. Maybe the batter is too deep for the cake to bake properly.

All4Show Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #12 of 44

The only time I've ever had a cake sink BEFORE I even opened the oven door was the orange dreamscile cake. It's been revised so many times I'm not even sure which one is that latest revision.

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:19am
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

That sounds like a pretty big, deep bowl. The Pyrex bowl that I bake in only holds 1 batch of MMF; yours is twice as big. Maybe the batter is too deep for the cake to bake properly.




Yeah, it is pretty big. Its bigger than the ones I used in my other attempts, so maybe that had something to do with it too. icon_sad.gif

step0nmi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:26am
post #14 of 44

hello!!! so sorry you are having issues! icon_sad.gif

I didn't get to read your last post or the few after that. After reading what was in your recipe...YES, it IS too much sugar! I have tried a recipe similar to that before and it never baked. it is probably also the fact that you have a bigger bowl.

hmmm...i'm trying to think. just the OJ alone is too much sugar for that recipe...are you still adding in the sugar that is called for the WASC recipe? sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. But, I think for this recipe in this bowl it is too much sugar.

oh, yes...also, if you opened the oven door at that 20 min mark it would definitely affect your baking of the other cake. so sorry you are having issues icon_sad.gif

maybe you could just do some orange zest and orange flavoring with the WASC or white box mix ???

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:29am
post #15 of 44

Nope. It's raw in the middle. Too gooey to save. The outside is like a rock and it make a *thunk* when I dropped it down on the counter. lol. Ok. Im calling it a night and Im going to start this over again tomorrow. Too bad. It tastes sooooo good too. Well, the cooked parts. icon_wink.gif

I am going to try the bowl again with your suggestions. If it works for you guys, darn it! its gonna work for me! lol

I'll try baking it at about 275 for a looooong time. Sound good? Anyone deeply opposed to that?

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:33am
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

hello!!! so sorry you are having issues! icon_sad.gif

I didn't get to read your last post or the few after that. After reading what was in your recipe...YES, it IS too much sugar! I have tried a recipe similar to that before and it never baked. it is probably also the fact that you have a bigger bowl.

hmmm...i'm trying to think. just the OJ alone is too much sugar for that recipe...are you still adding in the sugar that is called for the WASC recipe? sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. But, I think for this recipe in this bowl it is too much sugar.

oh, yes...also, if you opened the oven door at that 20 min mark it would definitely affect your baking of the other cake. so sorry you are having issues icon_sad.gif

maybe you could just do some orange zest and orange flavoring with the WASC or white box mix ???




..........well darn. I hope its not that. She had a tasting already and I cant change the recipe on her now. Id change the way I bake it before the recipe, I think. Umm......uughh. *sigh* I think Im still gonna try it again, just with a lower temp.

Hey... as opposed to using a rose nail, would using a thicker heating core...like, say, a cannoli form, help any? Would it make it more likly to sink?

cheatize Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:34am
post #17 of 44

Another consideration is getting something around the bowl to slow down the edge baking and giving time for the middle to bake. Can you stack up bake even strips and get them around the bowl?

iamcakin Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:36am
post #18 of 44

I just measured my bowl, it holds 8 cups of liquid, so it's a good sized "belly"!

I'm placing the blame on the oven draft icon_wink.gif, wait, wait, wait...don't open that door...step away...it's not done, it's only been in there 30 minutes...


Another thing - I have NEVER been successful with the WASC dreamsicle recipe, but in defense of the whole family of WASC cakes, I want to be successful, but they all tend to sink for me icon_sad.gif . The fact that you have used the recipe without problems in the past makes me more sure it's the opening-too-soon theory!

I start the temp higher to get the initial "rise", and then lower it.

I really hope you get it mastered. thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:38am
post #19 of 44

Also, glass is an insulator not a good conductor. So how does that affect baking? metal transmits the heat relatively quickly resulting in quicker baking.

Glass will take a little longer to heat up, but will hold that temperature longer than metal. It also sounds like you were using a significantly bigger bowl.

So, I would go with a lower temperature and wait longer. or switch to a metal bowl with a flower nail. This is the same way the wondermold for all those doll cakes works.

kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:55am
post #20 of 44

My gut reaction is it's way too much batter in a deep round bowl. And I agree on the glass being a problem, especially that size. I've baked in the custard cups with no problem, but that's about the size of a large cupcake. Never tried my biggest pyrex bowl. I'd go with with one of the suggestions of carving layers into shape.

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:27am
post #21 of 44

ooohhh....hmmm.....I have a large metal mixing bowl? I wonder if that would be better!!! I just measured it with water. It holds about 20 cups all the way to the top of it. If I were to put batter in, Id probably fill it less than half. I think this bowl is about the same size as the glass one I was using. I didnt know I could bake in those bowls. What are they normally made out of, aluminum?

Well, I wonder if that would be better....or is it possible that would make the outsides burn faster since you say it holds heat better?

Ok, just had another thought....I wonder why I didnt think of this earlier because I think this might be a winner...
I have a smaller pyrex bowl that would probably be ok. It might be the 8 cup size you are talking about. I didnt think it would give me the shape I needed, so that is why I decided to use the larger bowl...however now that I think about it....I could just plop a 8" round (or 9", Id have to measure) underneath it to give me the height and shape I need for the belly...that way I can use a smaller bowl which would probably be a lot less risky...but easier than trying to shave down (3) 8" rounds into a half sphere. Sound like a go? Would it still be wise to bake at a lower temp for a longer time in this size bowl?

In answer to another question, In a previous attempt about a year ago, I did try wet cut towels in place of bake strips...it worked for a bit, but they dried out pretty fast and kept falling off the bowls. I ended up taking them off in the middle of baking because I was afraid they would catch on fire. The sides of the cake were actually much better, but it took probably 2 hours to bake the cake this way...and this was in a much smaller bowl than the one I attempted tonight. If I remember correctly, I think the cake didnt turn out too great. Maybe it was dry, or crusty, or something...I remember that I considered that attempt a failure because of the way the tasted afterward.....although honestly I cant remember what exactly it was. Probably dry or something.

sweettreat101 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 7:51am
post #22 of 44

I bake in my stainless steel bowls. I just did this recently for a Cookie monster cake and it worked wonderfully. I didn't even use a flower nail. I baked them at 325.

tesso Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:51am
post #23 of 44

stainless steel bowls are the best. Also back away from that oven door...that is why your cake is sinking.. everytime you open it.. down it is going to go. icon_wink.gif

major question here.. is your oven GAS or Electric? I have a gas oven and you can bake in large steel bowl at 300 for 90 minutes.

I would definitely find out what kind of ovens are being used by some of the others on here before baking or attempting the recipes again. I would use the advice that is for your type of oven. Some great advice on here.. but gas and electric ovens are totally different in baking heat and time. My MIL's electric oven took 2 hours to bake a 12" cake. My Gas oven 60 mins.

Nusi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:43am
post #24 of 44

ok i dont have to read through all the comments so i dont know if someone suggested this or not..
first the rose nail is not enough.... start baking it normal on low temprature u can put the nail if u want but really what u should do is half way through the baking process take it out and stick metal skewers in the middle 2 inches apart. i just arrange them in a circlearound the middle of the cake. then stick it back in the oven. i still havnt figurerd out the right remperature but the metal skewers help alot

LindaF144a Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:32pm
post #25 of 44

Here is what I see is the reasons why this went wrong. I am listing here what you and others posted:

1. Glass bowl - I agree a stainless bowl better is better (BTW, make sure it is stainless steel. There are aluminum bowls out there too. You want stainless.) And you used a different bowl than everybody else. It may be that while glass is not conducive to holding heat (like previous OP said), your bowl will hold less heat because it is not the same formula in the glass as Pyrex uses.

2. WASC creamsicle recipe - It is very doctored with lots of sweetly already made ingredients. You are not the first to post problems with that recipe. Too much sugar and it will sink in the middle. I will post in full disclosure that I absolutely hate that recipe. It is just chock full of ugh stuff. There are other dreamsicle recipes that are better. You could doctor it to taste creamsicle with some orange zest and extract using a vanilla cake and get the same flavor and a better cake too. And it would cost way less than adding all those sugarly loaded ingredients which is throwing off the balance of the cake and you are getting exactly what will happen. Sugar is a tenderizer and there is way too much for the structure of the cake to hold.

3. Your batter was too deep.

4. You opened the oven way too much! I know curiosity at all. But wait at least 50 minutes. This is the number one reason why cakes will fail to bake and can cause it to sink too. I'm assuming there is no window on the outside of your oven door?

I agree with the suggestion to use a stainless steel bowl. I'll add find another recipe and set the timer and walk away!

So sorry you have to make a new one and had cake failure. I got a little worried when you said the topic was cake 911. I was afraid you had to call the fire department or something. I guess we can be grateful that all it did was sink and not catch on fire! icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144


......I got a little worried when you said the topic was cake 911. I was afraid you had to call the fire department or something. I guess we can be grateful that all it did was sink and not catch on fire! icon_wink.gif




My first thought was it shattered and someone got hurt!! I've seen Pyrex shatter into millions of tiny pieces.

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:24pm
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Here is what I see is the reasons why this went wrong. I am listing here what you and others posted:

1. Glass bowl - I agree a stainless bowl better is better (BTW, make sure it is stainless steel. There are aluminum bowls out there too. You want stainless.) And you used a different bowl than everybody else. It may be that while glass is not conducive to holding heat (like previous OP said), your bowl will hold less heat because it is not the same formula in the glass as Pyrex uses.

2. WASC creamsicle recipe - It is very doctored with lots of sweetly already made ingredients. You are not the first to post problems with that recipe. Too much sugar and it will sink in the middle. I will post in full disclosure that I absolutely hate that recipe. It is just chock full of ugh stuff. There are other dreamsicle recipes that are better. You could doctor it to taste creamsicle with some orange zest and extract using a vanilla cake and get the same flavor and a better cake too. And it would cost way less than adding all those sugarly loaded ingredients which is throwing off the balance of the cake and you are getting exactly what will happen. Sugar is a tenderizer and there is way too much for the structure of the cake to hold.

3. Your batter was too deep.

4. You opened the oven way too much! I know curiosity at all. But wait at least 50 minutes. This is the number one reason why cakes will fail to bake and can cause it to sink too. I'm assuming there is no window on the outside of your oven door?

I agree with the suggestion to use a stainless steel bowl. I'll add find another recipe and set the timer and walk away!

So sorry you have to make a new one and had cake failure. I got a little worried when you said the topic was cake 911. I was afraid you had to call the fire department or something. I guess we can be grateful that all it did was sink and not catch on fire! icon_wink.gif




LOL! The only reason I put 911 is because I was seriously paniced. This is only one of 3 orders I need to work on, and I already suspect Ill be working 50 hours this week, plus watching a toddler at the same time...so my time is extremly limited and I was hoping for quick answers so I can get back on track and not be working until 3am for 3 days straight! I want to thank everyone sooo very much for all your help. I am incredibly greatful.

I am using an electric oven. I have no clue if the bowls are stainless....now that you mention it, I think they are. Aluminum would probably be really light. There isnt anything on the bowl that says what it's made of.

I was thinking of trying this recipe again, but baking in a smaller bowl this time, and just baking another round layer to go under it to get the height I need. I have used this recipe before and didnt have issues with it sinking too bad...maybe a little right towards the end, but honestly it was never enough to be a problem so I never really thought about it until you guys started mentioning it.

I plain on using my smaller bowl that is about 8-10 cups, and filling it about halfway, then baking at 275 and not checking on it for 50 minutes. Does this sound ok? Im trying to consider everyone's advice here, so let me know if I just got totally confused and this is a bad idea.

As far as a window on the oven..lol, yeah it has one...but its so darkly tinted I cant see in. Its a useless window. icon_smile.gif I dont normally open my oven so much with my other cakes, but this made me nervous because of my past experiences with it burning on the outside and being liquid in the middle. I was trying to watch for that.

Ok, well after going shopping this morning and taking care of my toddler, Im all set to get mixing again. Before I put anything in the oven Ill check here for your advice again, just to make sure I havent missed anyone's input.

Honestly, I am very greatful for every single one of your suggestions. You guys took time to help me out, and I'm very appreciative. Let's hope this works so I can move on! lol

kansaslaura Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:46pm
post #28 of 44

Re: Oven window. Be sure it's not dirty--You'd be surprised how much can build up on a window inside an oven. No reflection on you, but fact.

Try this--open the oven door, spray some oven cleaner on the window, allow it to soak, with the door open. In 30 min or so wipe with a wet sponge or cloth--I do this every so often between cleanings so I can see clearly what is going on inside without opening that door.

JCE62108 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:57pm
post #29 of 44

Ill look really quick, but I just moved into this place not even two months ago and it was spotless, and honestly the only cooking Ive done in my in my big oven is cake! lol. Nothing greasy or anything like that. Since its just me and the little one, I tend to cook our meals in the toaster oven. icon_smile.gif Ill check it out though. Thanks for the advice!

BTW I think your avatar is what my son sees when Im working in the kitchen. lol. Poor little guy loves to stand right under me while I work, and I have to constantly tell him, "you have to get out of the kitchen please, mommy is working today!" One of his newest phrases is now, "Get out". lol

KristyDi Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:08pm
post #30 of 44

On the "too much sugar" thing. Since this recipe has so many ingredients that weren't meant to be ingredients, but to be eaten on their own, there could be a big variation in the amount of sugar different brands contain. So are you using the same brands you used in the past when the recipe worked for you?

I hope it works for you this time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%