Brush Embroidery Question

Decorating By KayMc Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 11:32am by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 13

I want to try my hand in the next week at brush embroidery for the first time. Do I use royal icing or buttercream for this?

Also, I am thinking I want to put some on the sides of the cake. Is this a bad idea for my very first attempt? I saw a video where the gal put a royal icing template on some type of hard, but flexible, plastic, and imprinted that dried template into the fondant for her brush embroidery. Is this a good idea, or too unneccessary? I'm hoping to use a cutter for imprinting. Good thought? Bad thought?

12 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:26am
post #2 of 13

You should practice on a flat surface for a bit. I think you can use either royal or butter cream, but the royal will set up faster.I think the Wilton website has some instructions as well.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:30am
post #3 of 13

I've only used royal icing for brush embroidery. I would try it on a practice board a few times first. If you are good at freehand, you don't have to use the template. The important part is to do the technique twice about 1/4 inch apart to add depth. I did add a little piping gel to my royal icing to thin it out. One teacher that I had made us dip or brush in pasteurized egg wash, and another had us dip our brush in water. In those cases, we did not use the piping jail. If you dip your brush, be sure to dab off the excess.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 2:47am
post #4 of 13

KayMC, PM with an email address, if you want to. I have two sets of instructions I can send you. I helped someone before, and they're still on my desktop.

KayMc Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 13

Am I understanding correctly: if I did my brush in water (remove excess), then I don't need to add piping gel? If I do remember to buy the piping gel, how much do I add? Thanks................Kay

FatCat_036 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatCat_036 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 13

icon_smile.gif hello,
I have been reading through this blog and I also have a question. Is it better to use a soft or stiffer brush and which works best round or flat. I have experimented with different sixe brushes, but my embroidery never looks defined enough.

RESCUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RESCUE Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 13

i am so glad this question came up. i have been playing with this technique and was wondering what the is the best type brush to use. i still need alot of practice. any and all help is needed.

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 13

KayMC, I sent you the PDFs.

FatCat_036, the instructions on my sheet say to use a SOFT #1 or #3 brush.

I'm not sure what that means. I just happen to have those instructions, never done it (I'm a digital information hoarder...lol.)

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 13

Here's a great tutorial by Elaine McGregor. It's very easy to follow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqbDTaauGO0&feature=channel
Good luck & have fun!!! icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 13

That's a beautiful tutorial cakes 47. It would certainly help everyone interested. Thank you! (I'll never have time to try any of that stuff, but I certainly love watching art in the making.)

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Am I understanding correctly: if I did my brush in water (remove excess), then I don't need to add piping gel? If I do remember to buy the piping gel, how much do I add? Thanks................Kay

Yes, that's correct. I believe I added about a tsp of piping gel to one batch of royal icing.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for all this info didn't see this thread before I bumped my question again.

KayMc Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:32am
post #13 of 13

That is a great tutorial w/ Elain McGregor. Yesterday I bought two good brushes @ Michael's, as well as the piping gel, so I hope to have time to try this technique this week. Thanks for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%