Did I Make A Big Mistake? Ie Gumpaste Leaf Attached To Wire

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 1:08am by beenie51

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Ladies (and Gents),

I'm in the process of doing my largest project ever. The top of my three tier cake wants for a bouquet of pansies. There are to be leaves mixed in. The flowers and leaves are gumpaste (my first time). I made the flowers and leaves today and they are drying. The instructions for the cake said to make the leaves and vein them, then to apply the wire with gumpaste paste and then wrap the bottom of each (still pliable) leaf around florist wire to secure THEN let dry. I made and veined the leaves, but forgot about the wire. They are pretty dry. Is there a way to attach them to the wire without the wrapping around part??? Or should I just remake all the 60+ leaves? UGH! icon_redface.gif

On the same note. The instructions say to use cloth covered florist wire. Is that a must? All I could find was the regular green wire.

Thanks for any help I can get,
Christina

3 replies
PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know how you were planning your design, but maybe you could just insert the leaves in and around the flowers? Set the flowers in place then add the leaves with a dab of royal where you need them?

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #3 of 4

Patty. The pic of the cake I'm doing can be found here.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Petal-Poetry

The flowers and leaves stand up off the cake, so I can't really pipe them in.

Thanks!
Christina

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:08am
post #4 of 4

I don't know if this would work but could you make some royal icing and attack the wire to the leaves that way? Just a suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%