A Purse Cake That Opens And Closes- Is It Possible?

Decorating By cakeschmake Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 1:25am by dorie67

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 6

I have a good customer of mine asking for a purse cake, but he wants it to open and close. He is surprising his wife with it and wants to place something inside for her to find.
I don't think it is possible, and let him know that. Has anyone tried this or something similar?

5 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:52am
post #2 of 6

In theory yes, if you make a purse with a flap.

Make a hole in the top of the cake, to put in the little something

Make the flap out of fondant, but pretty close to the time, where she is to lift it. She will only be able to do it once or twice, before the flap willl either distort or break. I made a bed with naked figures in it, used a fresh fondant blanket, because I wanted it liftable, so people could look under the sheet icon_smile.gif)

Worked 2 or 3 times, but then the blanket distorted a bit. Was good enough for laughs though

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #3 of 6

I would try it with candy clay. It keeps it shape as long as it doesnt get warm and will not get elephant skin.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:12am
post #4 of 6

Hmmmm intersting idea....

I am thinking it can be done although I have never attempted something this complex personally...

Was thinking of using som sort of piano style hinge and make flap out of gumpaste (but leaving hinge portion exposed) but this part of cake would not be edible...

Just a thought and hope this helps

Momma_D Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momma_D Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:15am
post #5 of 6

Use Sugarveil, maybe? Let us know what you come up with!

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:25am
post #6 of 6

I am not sure how to do it but can't wait to see it if you do it. Good Luck! princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%