Didn't Know This About Gumpaste

Sugar Work By TabbieCakes Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm by TabbieCakes

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 5

So, I made a gumpaste peony with the sleeping baby inside, the help of some fabulous CCers (I would post pics but the bugs on this site are still crawling!)

I put it in a closed plastic tub to transport to my SIL's house for a little show and tell. When I got home I left it in the tub for a couple of days.

When I took it out it was soft! I thought once it hardened that was it, but that's clay, not sugar, so I should have known.

It hardened again, so no worries. But I'm sure glad I learned this lesson NOW!

4 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 5

It depends on how quickly you put it in the plastic container after it was finished. Within 24 hours, a gumpaste project is firm to the touch, but it takes weeks, really, for a project like that to dry all the way into its core. It is best to store in cardboard altogether. If storing in plastic, even for a short amount of time, use silica gel packets to help absorb the moisture.

Glad your flower with baby dried back out! HTH for next time.

TabbieCakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 5

Whew! Yes, me too icon_smile.gif Thank you for the info.

You know I'm making a bunch for cupcake toppers for my SIL. We want to put them in clear plastic cupcake boxes as favors.

Do you think they'll be okay since the box technically will have some airflow and they will have been made at least a week in advance?

Or should I put silica packets under the box inserts?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbieCakes

Whew! Yes, me too icon_smile.gif Thank you for the info.

You know I'm making a bunch for cupcake toppers for my SIL. We want to put them in clear plastic cupcake boxes as favors.

Do you think they'll be okay since the box technically will have some airflow and they will have been made at least a week in advance?

Or should I put silica packets under the box inserts?

How thick will the toppers be? If they are fairly normal, and if you are going to make them a week in advance, I'd keep them where there will be good air circulation while they dry. A fan helps speed the process. Your peopny and baby would have been a very thick item which is why it was not dry to the core and softened back up. I would not use the silica gel in the packaging...

TabbieCakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 5

I agree about the silica. I dont like the idea of non-edibles in the packaging. I'll just make sure they are completely dry and made far enough in advance before packaged, which I wont do until just before the event.

Thanks so much again for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%