Duncan Hines Recipes

Decorating By heroes Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 5:56pm by scp1127

heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 8

I live in Birmingham England and I dont know where I can purchase these cake mixes, Has anybody used these box mixes to make wedding cakes? and is it firm enough to take 3 tiers of fondant?

7 replies
microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:19am
post #2 of 8

I personally think that DH is weaker than betty crocker so that's what I've switched to. I personally wouldn't use it for a 3 tiered cake. You could try lowering the amount of water to 1 cup and adding an extra egg per mix. That may make it strong enough to use.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 8

I only use DH and have made plenty of 3 tier cakes and they hold up great.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:56am
post #4 of 8

I also use DH and have never had a problem stacking it. Have a friend who also uses DH, and she is able to stack them without a problem, too.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #5 of 8

I only use DH as a base, I'm just not to fond of BC or Pillsbury. Also my good friend has food allergies and DH is the only one she can eat. You can technically stack anything with the right support.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:25am
post #6 of 8

Getting to the rest of your question, this subject was brought up here a few times, but long ago. It's rare to find those cake mixes in the UK. I hope someone from that side of the pond can help you, but you might have to resort to baking from scratch, instead.

Is there a particular flavor you would like to bake? Check in the recipe section. Almost all the recipes there are tried and true.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:25am
post #7 of 8

I use DH all the time, no problems here. My customers RAVE about the look and taste of their cake. If it' ain't broke, don't fix it icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 8

I only make wedding cakes for family, and because my scratch recipes are too moist and don't cut sharply, I use Duncan Hines. I am very inexperienced with wedding cakes. I made a four tier cake in May with each tier about six inches tall. The cake held up perfectly and I LOVE Duncan Hines taste. I scratch bake because I love the science of it, but DH is in my pantry too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%