New...what Would You Charge?

Decorating By walterak Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm by JaeRodriguez

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #1 of 11

I am new to making cakes for people on the side of my full time job. I recently did this cake for a friend and had someone wonder about adding another tier and cost.

14", 12", 10" and 8" square with BC and MMF, and silk roses. Just like this pic just with an additional, larger tier.

Just curious as to what you would charge for this for a wedding cake. THANKS!!!

I am also having trouble getting my pic to my post, so its the only one in my album right now. Square Roses.

I know things cost differently in places...but just looking to get an idea and appreciate advice!

10 replies
durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:25am
post #2 of 11

Most the time cakes are priced per serving. So fist u need a base amount for per slice plain bc. I think the average is 3 bucks per slice then u have the option of adding extra charge per slice for the mmf or just adding a set price for it. So overall id say 3 to 4 bucks per serving. U can look up the serving amount per pan size on here or wilton has one too. Hoped that helped!

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:28am
post #3 of 11

Hi Walterak! Welcome to CC. Pricing is a "hot spot" on this forum. Don't be surprised or offended if someone jumps on your case about it. I made the same mistake asking a pricing question for my first post, and WOW!!! I was almost in tears with the responses. With time, I learned the "ways" of CC and I grew thick skin real fast. lol. Hopefully, your experience will be different, but if not, I forewarned you icon_smile.gif

So, have you "sold" a cake yet? Or, have you done cakes as gifts?

If you haven't already, you need to find out FIRST if your state allows home baking and selling. Most don't. Luckily, I live in Ohio and can bake/sell at my home under the cottage law.
Second, do some calling and/or googling. Find out what other bakers are charging and go from there. Don't make the mistake of under charging.
Third, figure out your cost and time. Make sure you are making a profit.
Forth, figure out your base price and what you would charge for extras. Detailed design, sugar flowers, etc can be charged extra. Also, gourmet flavors warrant more money per serving as well.

HTH!

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by careylynn

Second, do some calling and/or googling. Find out what other bakers are charging and go from there. Don't make the mistake of under charging.

HTH!

In your local area, sorry I forgot to include that icon_smile.gif

Average around me is $ 3-4 for buttercream, and $4-7 for fondant.

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:31am
post #5 of 11

Wow...thanks. I was afraid I might get some bad comments! I will wait and see. Thanks both of you for this information.

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 11

What flavor cake does she want? Scratch or cake mix? If it's vanilla i would charge $3 per serving if she provides the flowers. I would charger more for more expensive flavors. But i live in a small town where people look at you like your crazy when you quote them a price and they realize their homemade scratch cake is going to cost more than the grocery store ones. If you live in an area with a higher cost of living you can price higher. An average 2 bedroom apt rents for around $600 here if that helps. icon_biggrin.gif

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:07am
post #7 of 11

Sooo waaay off topic but 600 for a two bedroom where do you live holly? I'm in ca and my 2 bedroom apt is 1200/ mo! Lol sorry I get distracted easily!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:51am
post #8 of 11

To the OP, as others have stated it SOOO depends on your location. I start my buttercream cakes at $2.50/serving. the 8-10-12-14 cake serves 252 people (industry standard size 1x2x4 size serving) so my price w/o the flowers would be $630. I would have the bride provide the roses. But I have seen the price per serving as high as $7-$8 for other areas of the country (east/west coast and Alaska) It really comes down to how much you can get your supplies for and how much you want to get paid per hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durell87

Sooo waaay off topic but 600 for a two bedroom where do you live holly? I'm in ca and my 2 bedroom apt is 1200/ mo! Lol sorry I get distracted easily!

the last place we rented was a two bedroom home w/detached single car garage and it was only $475.... avg in this area for that type of thing is $500-$550. It's all in where you live icon_smile.gif

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 11

I would charge $504 ($2.00/serving) not including the flowers.

My four bedroom costs $450/month icon_lol.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:01am
post #10 of 11

There is another forum going on right now on this same topic. Texas Sugar gives some really good advice about figuring prices about halfway down the topic:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973.html

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 11

A 4 bedroom for 450!? WOW I am moving to Iowa! icon_razz.gif

OP- If you google "site:cakecentral.com cake pricing" You will find loads of threads with TONS of tips about how to price, there are a few where Indydebi comes in and lists all the things she factors into pricing and it's a doozy! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%