Hi Im New To Cake Making...

Decorating By amandab1223 Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 3:38pm by BethLS

amandab1223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandab1223 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 2

I friend wants me to make a cake for her son's birthday Saturday. I am using a buttercream with 50/50 butter & crisco. I will also be using mmf. I have to shape it into Lightning McQueen and do detail work. I have to drop it off Friday because Im going out of town but the party is Sat. How far in advance can I make the cake,icing,fondant? Can it be left out? When I give them the cake Fri do I tell them to just leave it out until the party? I also work so I cant just plan to do it all in a day or two. THANK YOU!!

1 reply
BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 2

Hello and Welcome to CC!

You can certainly make everything in advance. Many people here will even bake the cake days in advance and freeze. So I think you could probably bake today, freeze, and pull it out Wednesday for a crumbcoat and settling, then decorating on Thursday.

I make all of my icing (usually up to a week in advance) and fondant (also up to a week) in advance to give the fondant time to firm up.

I always leave my icing, fondant and cake "out". I hardly ever fridge unless its something very perishable. (like IMBC or a filling needing refridgeration)

I also never fridge a fondant covered cake, because where I live I can never get it to look right when they come out of the cooler. icon_rolleyes.gif But some people here can do it with ease!

Good luck and have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%