My Cheap Source For Small Amounts Of Vanilla Beans

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 3 Oct 2010 , 1:30pm by imagenthatnj

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:50am
post #1 of 10

Just thought I'd share, I had a heck of a time finding vanilla beans for less than $10 each at grocery stores, and don't bake enough (I'm a hobby baker) to justify buying a $50 bag (albeit a good deal) of beans. So......

I was at Cost Plus World Market and low and behold they have 2 beans for $2.99, they're Madagascar and have great flavor, are long, and are always very full of seeds.

I've since bought about 10 packs from them over a couple months and they're always consistently good, in stock, and the same price.

Just thought I'd share!

9 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:25am
post #2 of 10

thank you for sharing this.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:26am
post #3 of 10

Also ebay is a good source for vanilla beans. I have bought a dozen for 3.00. I use them to make vanilla. I just put a bunch in a bottle of vodka. Use the rest for cakes, and fillings.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 10

You can get them online for less. I usually get 200 and share them with other people. I use it for extract and vanilla bean.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 10

I second eBay!

You can get about 50 beans for about 20$ icon_smile.gif It rocks! (Most of the cost is shipping, not the price of the beans, however Im sure thats how they make their money)

Real homemade vanilla is amazing!

tavyheather Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:33am
post #6 of 10

yeah, I know u can buy them in bulk for less, that's why I brought it up b/c I don't want 200 vanilla beans.

I want 2-4 at a time.

Thanks for your input but I was posting for those who wanted a good source of small amounts of vanilla beans

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:13am
post #7 of 10

may i ask how you make home made vanilla essence? i saw cathys cakes say she put some in vodka... is that what vanilla essence is??
Man i have a lot to learn about everything!!!

tavyheather Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:17am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollyponpon

may i ask how you make home made vanilla essence? i saw cathys cakes say she put some in vodka... is that what vanilla essence is??
Man i have a lot to learn about everything!!!

I've heard (put have NOT tried) putting about 20 pods in bourbon or vodka and letting it sit for about a month gives u homemade extract...but half the ppl who say they tried it love it and half say it's weak and not worth the effort

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:49am
post #9 of 10

well thank you for sharing! honestly i just never would have even thought that it was something that could be made at home... thank you so much!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 10

I just put it in a small bottle of vodka. All you need is the two ingredients: vanilla beans and alcohol. I started when I read here in CC about a woman who started a year ahead to make it for her whole family, then just left to bottles resting till the next Thanksgiving.

Here's tutorials, it's pretty simple:
http://www.kitchenproject.com/vanilla/vanillaextract/MakeYourOwnVanillaExtract.htm

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_vanilla_extract/

I do think you need more than a month. I let it stand for a long time. And keep adding any empty beans that I have taken the seeds from, to keep it going.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%